//the huguenots//

"A word." Mother says.

   I ignore her for a moment and I turn to the guards. "Don't let anyone, not even a servant to enter our chamber except for me. Tu appris"

   The guards sternly nods. "Yes, Your Majesty." I return a nod and turn to my mother.

   "Yes?" I raise a brow. She stays quiet but she tilts her head sideways, indicating me to follow her.

  We walk around the hall, I scan the castle. People are everywhere; noblemen, ladies, counts and countess, guards, servants, maids. They all chat together, serve, laugh, eat, and bow at our presence.
   "Charles," mother begins, "I've heard from Madame Zulu that Elisabeth's mother has passed recently. Is that true, son?" She asks, stopping and turning around to face me.

  I nod. She takes a sharp breath. I take in the clue, "was she a friend?"

"Maria was, yes."  She reveals, looking sideways at the people before us. "I used to visit her in Austria when we were teenagers," she continues, closing her eyes to relive the memory.

  She slowly opens them. "And then, when years has passed, both of us had children. Her first born was Elisabeth," she smiles. 

  "Hm, I remember a seven-year-old Elisabeth handing me a red rose whenever I visit saying, Une fleur pour la reine de France, Catherine," she chuckles at the memory.

   I smile at the thought of a young, chubby Elisabeth, with her brown hair behind her in a messy braid, giving a rose to my mother. That's why my mother instantly recognized her when she arrived here.

  Mother pauses. She lowers her eyes and shake her head gloomily.

  "Elisabeth must've been heartbroken."

"She had a breakdown, cried herself to sleep."

  "I know how hard it is to move on but she has to because tomorrow is her Coronation, Charles." Mother states.

  I halt. What? "So soon?" I ask, astounded.

   She folds her arms, the lace at her sleeves falls. "Well, since I've learned that you and Elisabeth forged your consummation two weeks ago, why not have this coronation be a real one, huh? and fast," she declares mockingly.

   I freeze. How the hell did she knew? I glance sideways at her. "I don't want a child right now," I mumble. "But," I interfere, "What about the privy council? I thought we're going to continue the meeting tomorrow?"

"The meeting has been moved."

  I narrow my eyes. "Mother, let her grieve."

  "We don't have a space for that for royalties, Charles. It's best she does it privately. The coronation is tomorrow." 

  I shake my head and don't respond.

   "And, Charles," she continues, "I have to inform you that an heir is an important pa--"

   But my attention isn't on her anymore. I turn around and gaze at the window. I squint, trying to make out the people riding the horses. I see some of my royal guards and Bash.
He finally came back.

_____________

"What were the connections? What is p.l.c.? Where did their family came from?" I shower Bash with questions impatiently as we make our way inside the castle. I need to know now.