// the court of france //

The carriage stops as we arrive at the court. Outside, I hear the chorus of trumpets ; it announces my arrival. The music fills in the carriage making Elisa jump at her seat.
    I avoid her gaze but I could see in the corner of my eyes that she's still looking at me. Guilt starts to flood over me.Bash opens the door and holds his hand out for Elisa but I stop her. "Elisa.. I deeply apologize for raising my voice at you earlier."
    She looks at me softly and simply shrugs, then grabs Bash's hand and goes out of the carriage. I duck down at the short door and step off the carriage.

      "His Majesty, The King of France!" The guards announces.
    Then, the corridors sways open and everyone, the members of the court goes out of the castle. They all line up. Everyone's eyes are on me, they kneel, curtsy and bow at me. Why do they have to announce me or come outside just to see me?  It's cold as well, not to mention. I will never understand this ritual.

    A red carpet rolls over. I step on it and start walking while Bash and Elisa are behind me. I look around to see their faces except my mother's. Huh. I notice them pointing behind me, I look behind: Elisa's looking down careful not to make an eye contact with anyone, she's clutching her arm while her cheek is sore from the coldness. I also noticed that her hair looks like it's been dragged by a hundred of horses.
    The tall corridors opens and we enter inside the castle.

____

  As we're walking down the halls, Bash lays a hand on my shoulder to stop me.
     "I have to bring the guards with me to you know...I'll leave you with her," He says.
I try to protest but he ignores me and walks away. 
     In the corner of my eyes, Elisa awkwardly looks up to me. I also didn't notice how short she is. I look back at her. I open my mouth to say something but one of the corridors suddenly opens revealing my mother with her hand clapped on her mouth.

     "Elisabeth! Oh, my darling!" She opens her arm for an embrace.
   Elisa looks stunned but she shows a beautiful-awkward smile, and embraces my mother with her good arm. How did Mother know what she looks like? Most likely, Mother's expecting her.
     "Welcome, Elisabeth. I am Catherine De Medici. Charles' mother. Queen-Mother."
     "I'm happy to make your acquaintance, Your Grace-"
     "Catherine, please."
     "Yes, of course," she bows, "I actually prefer to be called Elisa."
   Mother gives her a last, genuine smile. Then, her eyes lands at me. "Charles, son. I see you and Elisa are acquainted now, are we?"

    I walk towards them. I keep my face blank. "Yes, mother."
    She falsely smiles at me then looks back at Elisa. "Oh, my dear what happened to you?" She reaches up for her messed-up brown hair, then look back at me with curious eyes.
   "Ah, I see. I guess you two are more than acquainted then." She says.

I freeze. I realize what she means— "No! Mother. I-it's not what you think!" I defend hastily, "She—Elisa got in trouble with her carriage and then Bash and I went to help her, only to discover that she's my betrothed."

     "Well, I think it's more than 'trouble', Charles." She points at Elisa's wounds and broken arm.
     Elisa quietly clears her voice. "It's just a scratch," she reassures, "If we can find the time to talk alone, I'll explain it to you or Charles and I could."
   "Alright," Mother agrees. "I'm glad that you've been careful, son," she glances at me, "And even saved your fiancee's life."
   With that, she starts to walk away. Her red dress swishes behind her; her heels clicks. Then stops.
"Oh, the engagement party is this evening, by the way." What?!
    Then she leaves. 

   She can't just say that. I am the damn King and I can end this engagement in a second! Ugh, but I am stuck. How much I am annoyed by this, in the end, I might need the Archduchess's alliance with me.