// pillow talk //

No.

   But everyone breaks into a louder applause again. No. It's way too early. No. I look at Elisa for help but she is turned to them forcing a smile. I look down to hide my face from the crowd yet  I can feel the cold eyes of my mother on me. The people finally end their rejoice as my mother orders them to continue on their activities. The music comes back on and I hastily grab Elisa's arm and pull her towards the direction of Mother. I need a word.

   "OW!" Elisa cries out in pain. I look back. Oh no. I pulled her bad arm.
   I swiftly walk up to her, "Oh, I'm so sorry...I didn't notice..." I apologize desperately. I can feel her arm shakes under my touch. She quickly retrieves her arm from mine, and massages it. Oh hell.
   "I-im..." I stutter, struggling to find words.
    "No, Charles," she tries to reassure, " it's just..." She breathes sharply in pain.
    Her knuckles balls tightly, forcing the pain to fade. 
    "I...I..," I start nervously, "I'm sorry, I was shock at my mother's announcement and I thought that I need to have a private word with her and you so I guess I grabbed you and...I'm so sorry." I explain. I feel bad. Great, you barely know each other and you have already cause her pain.
    "Charles, it's alright... it's nothing..." she trails off, holding her arm. "I want to come."
    "Come then," I say softly. She glances at me slightly and nods at me. In reply, I place my hand again in front of her, she looks at it and places her good hand over mine. 

    We walk towards my mother. She notices us.
     "Mother." I call.
     "Hm?" She says drinking her goblet, raising an eyebrow as she sees where our hand are. I drop my hand.
    "Mother, what do you mean the wedding is tomorrow? " I state coldly, frowning.
    Mother puts her goblet down. "It means that Elisa and you are getting married tomorrow," she simply says.
    I roll my eyes. Way to go stating the obvious.
    "I think Charles and I must get to know each other first. I'm sorry, Catherine but I think it's very early...and I have just arrived. Surely, I must be adjusted before committing anything else," Elisa smartly states. 
    "I agree with Elisa"
    "Well, the decision is final," She returns stubbornly,  "You are going to be wed tomorrow here, in the French court. And besides, use your time tonight to get to know each other. Even as a bonus, visit each other's chambers by all means, if you're not satisfied." 
     My frown deepens. "Mother." Elisa shifts uncomfortably at the last words.
    "Now go and sit on your throne, son. Or dance with Elisa--" 

     "I can cancel it!" 

   "Oh, Charles," she lets out an devious chuckle, "You can not change everything because this engagement was made by your father and I, and it remains valid  at the eyes of the parliament since it was never dropped and the Austrian court has renewed it, so you cannot cancel anything." 
  This is getting on my nerves. "And what if I change the date of our wedding?" Her eyes glistens with smugness as she laughs and replies, "The Bishop has already arrived." 

  My mouth drops. "This would be the last time you dominate me!" I snap at her, storming away.

   I exit the place. I pace around the castle in frustration. I run my hand over my hair in distress. Why does she keep hiding me behind her shadows?! Goddammit. I need to find Bash. 

_____
"What?" I gasp. 
   "Yes, Charles. We located the carriage not too far from the spot where we found Elisa. Some of her belongings were there but the man who attacked Elisa is dead. His name was Vallenté. Her coach is also dead. I don't know where their horses went as well." 

   Why is there seems to be a pattern?

    "How'd you get the confirmation that it was him who attacked Elisa?"