// the dying soldiers //

2 weeks later

  I aggressively lunge towards the sword as I twist it with mine but she suddenly turns around and swing hers hastily towards me, I block it, raise my feet and kick her hard on the knee. As expected, she gasps and hunches, and I jump and elbow her side, her grip on the sword loosens and I take the chance again to twist her sword aggressively with mine, Her sword flies into the air, landing right onto my hand.

   "Aha!" I beam, rejoicing at my victory. But she bolts towards me, and she holds a knife under my chin. I quickly hold my arms out in surrender. Ugh.
   "Charles," she starts "Always expect an unseen blade or weapon when fighting," Madame Zulu advises. I sigh. Madame retreats the knife. I hand the swords to her and then she puts it by the rack of weapons.

   I pant, catching my breath from the exercise Madame and I did. Madame Zulu wasn't just my governess when I was young, she has always taught me how to sword fight whenever my brothers couldn't.
   "Charles," she calls. I turn my head at her as I wipe a bead of sweat on my forehead.
   "Henri is going to Paris to meet his fiancée this evening, do you want to come?" She asks. I take a last deep breath and clear my throat, "Sure, unless there are some matters that I have to attend to."

   I quietly march towards the window, I gaze down below...I see a carriage. "What is it, Charles?" I hear Madame.
   I look back at her. "I think someone's arriving at the court, "I say.
   "Do you want me to go and see?" she offers.
   I turn my head back to the window and stare. "Yes, please," I command. I hear the door creaks open, then it closes with a slight bang.

   I observe the carriage as it makes its way through the gates. Then, it stops. A guard opens the door, and someone steps out. It's a female. I watch her flip her brown hair to her back, she smiles dazzlingly at some guard and adjusts the hem of her pink gown... Claude.
   I break into a smile at the sight of her. I have to see her. I cannot wait to see her. It's been a long time. I sprint towards the door. I dash down the stairs.

   I am hurrying my way through the gates until I feel somebody grabs my arm to stop me.
     "Charles." Mother.
    I quickly turn around. "Mother, Claude is here!" I beam at her.
"Ah, yes I know," Mother nods at the gates. "But, you have a privy council to attend," she reminds me.
   My grin slowly dies. I almost forgot. I sigh and shake my head. I gloomily stare at the gates. "You can meet your sister after the meeting," Mother tells me.

__________

  "Your Majesty, your troops has arrived in Spain one week ago. 3 days after your marriage to Queen Elisabeth," Narcisse informs me.

   I nod, staring at the Spanish map. Apparently, the privy council is just in between Lord Narcisse and I. My mother attends the actual privy council with me because she still perceives that I know little about it, and I still need to learn and I think, the council thinks the same. Lord Narcisse, the dark, tall, arroggant, infamous man was freed from the English prison a week after his wife, Lady Lola was beheaded by the Queen of England. My Mother rescued him and now, he stays in some cottage in Paris, working as one of my spies now, and one of my French ambassadors.
   I don't trust him that much, but he's a capable spy and worker.

   "I wish that Queen Elisabeth is here, so she can be informed on the events and activities that your people do," Narcisse proceeds.

   I shut my eyes at the sound of Elisa's name.

   On the first week of her stay here since our wedding, I learned that she is an extreme introvert. Although I thought she was an extrovert most of the time. I always find her in our chamber, either writing a letter to her mother or reading a book, or doing archery by herself in the courtyard or anything that doesn't affect the alliance. We barely talked since the night of our wedding, She also barely works with me as a Queen, and it infuriates me of the thought that she might not even lay a finger to help me with my duties and problems.