// the bleeding weapon //

CHARLES POV

I knew that the words I said would hurt her. I would hurt her again, and I did. I shouldn't have blurted it out. For a moment, I was gaining her back but I've lost her again. This time, you won't be forgiven. I'm the one who's ruining this alliance, not her.

I huff in annoyance. What was I saying? We cannot be at least, friends? Did I overthink what Francis had said? I just didn't want to start something that will distract me from my duties.

Still, I shouldn't have talked. don't know how long it passed since I push myself onto this couch but Elisa hasn't come back yet. Of course she wouldn't. Where is she?

I stare at the door. She can't leave the castle, can't she? I bolt out of the seat, dash towards the door.

I walk towards the halls of the castle. I can't see. It's dark. There are no candles lit. "Elisa!" I call out at the empty, dark way before me. My voice only echoes. She can't leave this castle. Panic starts to consume me.
"Guards!" I yell in panic. The guards swiftly hurry their way towards me.
"Your Majesty, what's the matter?" A guard to my left demands.

"Search the whole castle. Find the Queen!" I command.
They all bolt in different directions, some guards are with me. A guard hands me a lantern.

I put the lantern on the direction before me, I squint through the dim lighted way. The way to the ballroom.

"This way!" I call. My guards and I sprint towards the hall. Our shoes stomps loudly against the floor. The atmostphere turns cold, I shiver at the chill.
"Elisa!" I shout, my voice turns hoarse. Still no reply. My god, she's scaring me. I can feel my heart throbbing that it's going to come out. I turn in every direction of the castle I can go to, pointing my lantern to see what or who it is until--

"Charles!" A faint voice calls. Female. My breath hitches. "Elisa?!" I call back. "Charles!" The voice becomes louder. I hear footsteps behind me. My guards and I turn around.

Claude.

"Charles!" Claude pants. She hunches, catching her breath. "Where...why...." She asks, still panting.
"Claude, Elisa is missing. I don't know where she went--"

"Sire, Queen Elisabeth isn't outside the castle," A guard sprints towards Claude and I.
"Then she must be here." I say, "but stubborn." I grit my teeth.

I turn around and run towards the black abyss.
"Charles, wait!" I hear Claude calls.

I turn to my right. I don't know where I'm going. I speed into an unknown direction of a castle until something made me jump back, I bumped into a soft but heavy curtain. I hold my lanter onto the mysterious curtain. Throne room. I push the curtains out of my way. I tumbled in.I notice that the windows are opened, contributing light into the room. The scent hits my nose. Rose.

I quickly turn my head towards the thrones. I sigh in relief at the sight of Elisa. She sits on her throne, her arms around her knees, her face buried onto her legs. Guilt replaced relief when I hear her sobs.

My chest tightens.

This is what I've done to the girl who just wanted to be friends with me because she is an ocean away from her country, from her family, she is a girl who walks on a foreign soil, who barely speaks our language, who is married off to an arrogant ass, who is committing to drag herself onto the pits of hell with us.

And now what did I say? Yeah no, I don't want to be your friend.

I am an asshole.

"Elisa?" I whisper quietly. She stops and gasps. I watch her slowly lift her head from her knees revealing her bright pink, puffy eyes, the dark circles under her eyes has deepened, her cheeks is covered with tears, her used to be bright golden eyes has dimmed.