Zana Wakes Up

It was several days before Zana finally opened her eyes and spoke the very first words since the surgery.

The mechanical cogs whirling inside her half toy brain.

"Water. I want water", she cried in a croaky, hushed voice.

Miss Dresden leaned over the bed and carefully lifted Zana up onto her Mr. Softy pillows.

Making her comfortable.

She then took a glass of water from the bedside table.

"Drink slowly, child." Miss Dresden cooed.

Zana took a small sip and then eagerly went for another.

Father was sitting at the end of the bed.

Smiling warmly.

Holding back the tears at the sight of the purple bruises that still covered his daughter's swollen face.

The operation had been a difficult one.

Transferring the GENIUS AI circuit boards from Bela Doll and fusing them into human brain tissue had tested all his remarkable skills.

The cellular infusion and electronic pulse mechanism now helped power all of Zana's nerves, muscles and organs.

How her mind would be effected was still yet to be determined.

The villagers had not returned.

Perhaps it was the brutal revenge they had delivered with clenched fists, the consequences of their actions sinking in, that kept them far away.

But for how long?

Father squeezed his eyes shut.

Trying to chase the nagging doubt away.

He opened them again.

The smile returning to his lips.

The only thing that really mattered now was that his little girl was alive again.

Teddy peered behind the bedroom door.

"Look who's here to see you, Zana", said Miss Dresden as she took the glass away.

Zana grinned as Teddy hopped up onto the soft bed and held her hand gently with his furry paws.

"Hello, sweet, sweet, Teddy", she whispered.

Before suddenly leaping out of the covers and attacking him like a deranged wolf.

Hands ripping at his throat, teeth bared, a dreadful snarling sound erupting from her twisted mouth.

Teddy screamed.

Miss Dresden rushed over and tried to restrain Zana.

Using all the strength she could summon to pin the rabid child to the mattress.

Zana let go of Teddy and swung her arms upwards, gripping hold of Miss Dresden's neck.

Father had seen enough.

He quickly reached into his jacket pocket and took out a glass syringe and plunged the thin needle into Zana's skinny arm.

It took just five seconds for the powerful drug to work.

Zana let go of Miss Dresden's neck and flopped back onto her bed.

Eyelids fluttering as the sedative surged through her body.

Miss Dresden backed away.

Coughing and spluttering.

Trying desperately to catch her breath.

Teddy rolled off the bed and ran out of the bedroom.

Father softly brushed a lock of hair away from Zana's brow as his daughter fell back into a deep sleep.

"What just happened?" Miss Dresden asked.

Bending down to pick up the glass of water that had been hurled onto the floor.

Father sighed.

"It might be a neurological adjustment to the circuit board or a repressed memory of the beating she endured which may have triggered a latent defence mechanism."

"What do you suggest we do next?" Miss Dresden asked cautiously.

"I think we need to erase all memory of Zana and reprogram her brain to accept a totally new identity. Once done, she will be reborn as Bela. Taking on the thought patterns of the doll and hopefully escaping the nightmare she has experienced."

Father kissed his daughter on the cheek.

"Goodbye, Zana". He said quietly.

Miss Dresden handed him a tissue to dry the tears that ran down his tired face.

Father kissed her cheek once more.

His words falling from trembling lips.

"I love you, Bela".