Overworld Chapter 31 - Trekking the Mountain

Start from the beginning

            Frostbar said, “Link, that is another time and place. You have the Water Temple ahead now.”

            “The yeti is right. Unless you plan to turn back now, right after you have gained the favor of these people.

            “We’re coming with you!” Freya exclaimed from Frostbar’s back. “I want to kick that ugly lady’s butt. She’s been helping that evil wolfos alpha all this time, and now she needs to pay for it.”

            Frostbar added, “She’s right. This white-haired woman, she has been helping torment these mountains for years now. I must see her plans for this range end. Besides, having a yeti can’t hurt with the tension going on in Frostbite. Particularly for you, knight of Hyrule.” Frostbar nudged Bruce. “So, if you are recovered, Link, I urge we travel.”

            “Into the storm?” Bruce asked. “At night?”

            The yeti laughed. “You doubt the comfort of a yeti’s pelt, Bruce. Perhaps if they were weak goat skins like the knights have been using, then yes, traveling at night would be walking into death on the mountains. But these are made from the mountain people’s furs. We do not give them lightly, and they are not to be taken lightly. Yetis weren’t always civilized. They lived in caves, abandoned buildings and mines, and, at time, the open. We would not have survived if it wasn’t for our thick coats. These will keep out the cold.”

            Bruce nodded at the yeti, before looking back at Mirum. The twili was pondering. He asked, “What about you?”

            Mirum answered Bruce without really looking at him, “Well, you obviously don’t trust me, so I doubt that would be a good idea. Besides, I need to go back and speak to my teacher. This event…it shouldn’t have happened. Safe travels to you.”

            Link stood up and pulled himself back into Epona’s saddle. They did need to get going. The pain had dissipated quickly, fortunately. Mirum waved goodbye, before she vanished right in front of them, along with her whole shop.

            Bruce drew his sword, exclaiming, “How is that not dark magic?”

            “Hmhmhm…

            “What’s so funny, Endeavor?” Bruce demanded.

            “Twilight magic is similar to dark magic, Bruce, but it is not the same. The twili were an exiled race, their forefathers dabbled in dark magic, which lead to their exile. But do you think the Royal Family would let them stay here if they were still a potential threat? No, twilight magic has been altered from its origins, into something less dark, and, like Mirum said, with a hold on the day still. What you saw is something Zeal likes to imitate from their magic, but even she hasn’t perfected it. She snaps her fingers to cast the spell. The twili have no need to do so.

            “Can we discuss this later?” Frostbar asked.

            Epona stepped once, and tossed her head. Link pat the horse, saying, “He’s right.”

            Yore opened his wings and took off. Freya leaned in closer to Frostbar, holding onto his neck. Frostbar said, “We’ll take some goats with us. The chief of Frostbite will be happy to see me, but I’m sure they are all pressed with this storm. Gifts will be welcome. And certainly from a knight.”

            Bruce and Link looked at Frostbar. Bruce said, “But they aren’t our goats.”

            “No, but it could very well of been your idea to bring them,” Frostbar said. Bruce started to reply, but Frostbar went on, “I know very well that the knights aren’t welcome currently in Frostbite. My gift to Link was these tunics. My gift to you will be this. Do not argue with a yeti, young knight, I would not advise it.”

            The knight nodded, and turned Wind around. The charger trotted in a circle as Frostbar herded some goats towards them. Frostbar asked, “Do either of you know how to herd goats?”

            Link raised his hand. Bruce leaned over in his saddle, not really answering. Frostbar nodded. “Very good. Keep them together, and mind any wolfos out there.” The yeti let out a deep “whoop,” sending the herd of goats bounding down the path out of Glenwood and out into the mountains.

            Epona started after the herd on her own. Link gripped the reins as they charged back into the snow. Bruce raced after them, watching Link carefully. Frostbar took the lead, racing in front of the herd. Link rode on the outside, watching for stragglers, and monsters.

            Snow blew in from all directions, but the chill didn’t affect Link anymore. Frost began to gather on the brim of his hood. Epona kept charging on. Link heard something howling. Unable to tell if it was the wind or a wolfos, Link drew his sword and began to watch the horizons.

            A pillar of steam rose up above them. It was neither. It was the train. They were getting closer to Frostbite. And the heart of the storm.

            Frostbar led them on up the mountain. Snow churned beneath them as the herd raced on up the snowy mountainside. Link was on edge. They hadn’t been attacked, but this mountain was supposed to be swarming with wolfos.

            The howling returned. This time, Link knew it had to be the wolfos. He searched the plains, trying to find where it was coming from before the herd got spooked.

            Something leapt at his face. Link raised his sword, only to find the wolfos to have been pierced by an arrow. A pack sprung from the snow, racing at them. A shower of arrows came down overhead, followed by the muffled thunder of hoofs in the snow. Hooded warriors rode down, slashing at the wolfos before the creatures reached the herd.

            Link gave a “whoop” over the fray, urging the goats up the mountains. As the furry creatures raced on, Link turned back to fight, only to find nothing there. A bay horse trotted over to him. The knight held his sword out by his side. “You’re late, kid.”

            The voice was familiar, but it took Link a minute to recognize it. “Daniel?”

            Pulling his hood off, the knight replied, “Where have you been? The Princess said you were going to be here two days ago.”

            Link started to reply before Daniel cut him off. “It’s too cold out here. Let’s get back to the village.” He turned Brass Knuckles, and rode back up the trail. He waved his sword and the other soldiers returned back up the mountain. Link looked around to see if anyone else was left on the mountain, before riding up the mountainside…