“Honey I’ll be right back” he said getting out of the booth. Marshall is acting weird normally he would not act this way. Maybe he’s just in shock, Marshall doesn’t like surprises I should’ve never sprung that on him like I did.

            He came back some time later his color seemingly normal; his left eye twitch a little bit more then normally. “I’m sorry…I should’ve never done that” I said.

“Its ok honey…” he pressed his lips against mine as the pancakes came. Something about Marshall was unsettling with me. But he has only been home for a couple of hours I’ll let him adjust.

--

            Later in the afternoon, the kids were home and playing with Marshall. Well Ronnie was. Marshall flipped Ronnie upside down making him dangle. Marshall seemed ok now.

“Did you tell him about, Jake?” Hailie asked. “Yeah”

“How’d he take it?”

“Like you told me…a little shocked” I said, Hailie scoffed.

“Honey…no father takes the news of their daughter having a boyfriend well…my daddy didn’t” I said.

“How did he react towards Will?” Hailie questioned.

“Normal…after Will left he cursed in Sicilian calling Will a faggot and yuppy…which at the end was true...” “Ironically” I mumbled.

            I gave Hailie the plates for dinner later. Ronnie extended his arms out as Marshall flew him around like an airplane. Ronnie landed on Marshall’s lap as they both landed. He removed Marshall’s hat from his head and put it on his own. It was a little big but Ronnie looked adorable. Marshall’s face glowed.

            Marshall continued to chase Ronnie around the house and into the kitchen. “I gotcha Slim!” Marshall exclaimed, snatching Ronnie into his arms.

“Not in the kitchen please” I asked. The boys did not listen as Marshall and Ronnie continued to run around. How can I say no? Nothing is really going on that they need to be out, but I still prefer for them not to run around.

“Marshall, maybe you and Ronnie can run around outside” I said. Marshall smiled and nodded taking Ronnie by the hand and walking him outside.  

--

Marshall’s P.O.V

            Ronnie and I ran around for hours before he carelessly collapse on the floor in my arms. The air was brisk and comforting to our sweating faces. I curled my son in my arms tighter. The smell of pasta sauce and meatballs roamed from the screen door to outside.

            “I want to find someone just like mom” said Ronnie. I chuckled, “Why is that?”

“Because she is pretty and she cooks really good”. Every young boy’s dream is too find someone just like their moms expect for me. Now that I have a son, I can give him advice about women that I can never do with my girls.

            “Ronnie, find someone who loves you just as much as you love them…not for money or looks those are just…just…it’s not important really” I said.

“When you met mom, did she have that?” Ronnie asked. Thinking about it, Natalia was simply poor as I was before I came into rap. But she had determination to make her life better even if it meant doing some stupid movie to get an extra few bucks. But I do remember my body shaking and all my verbal skills shutting down when I first saw her.

            “She was beautiful, Ronnie…but she didn’t have the money like we do now…but she loved me and I loved her” I said. I ran my fingers through his short blonde hair as he fell to sleep.

“Dinner time boys!” Natalia shouted.

“Come on kiddo!” I lifted Ronnie up and carried him inside.

--

            I placed the bowl of meatballs on the table as everyone began eating. “Honey is it ok if I don’t eat, I’m not really hungry” Marshall said. It was weird; Marshall never turns down a home cooked meal after a long tour. With the time change, I guess it messed with his appitite.

“Sure” I said.

            Dinner continued normally, the same chatter and the same routine. Eventually Whitney and Ronnie went to their rooms. Hailie, Marshall and I were the only ones left in the room. Marshall was awkwardly quite around Hailie.

“Um, dad” Hailie said. Marshall glanced at her. “Can Jake come over Friday after school?” She asked. Marshall’s eyes widen as he glanced over to me, I glared slightly as I cleaned some dishes. He was looking to me for an answer.

            “I don’t see why not…” he cleared his voice, “I would like to um…meet him” he said awkwardly. Hailie saw past his awkwardness and delightfully kissed him on the cheek before making her way upstairs.

            Marshall scoffed putting his head on the table. I turned the water off and wipe my hands on the dish towel before sitting down with Marshall. I rubbed his back slowly as he took another deep breathes. Marshall has to stop overreacting or it’s going to kill him.

“What if he wears his baseball cap sideways and his pants pass his ankles?” he mumbled to me.

“What if he wears a nice button down, jeans and his hair comb?” I said. Marshall looked at me with tired eyes.

“Give him a chance honey” I said. “You’re right” Marshall sighed. I gave him a peak on the cheek.