Don't Let Go

Trigger warning. This involves mentioning of death by suicide and cancer.

"Cancer.

Strong word to use.

Rarity.

But yet we use it quite often in our everyday lives.

We all know someone who has a relative who died or has cancer.

Even if its your own fiancé it still hits you hard.

Its hard knowing that for all these years that I've known Mitch, he would end up with cancer at the age of 25. It's horrible all so horrible. When I found out it was on the worst day possible.

My proposal day.

Flashback
We were on tour with Pentatonix in Las Vegas. Mitch loves Las Vegas. He always drags me to the shows that are on. Well not 'drags' so to say. I do love going to see them with him. It makes him happy, so I'm happy. But tonight I had planned it all. We were going to see Wicked then go to a few sites, in which I would propose to him after 3 years of being his.
Wicked was amazing. I couldn't help but admire Mitch as he belted out defying gravity, receiving himself a few odd looks, but that never stopped him.
We walked out the theatre hand in hand, performing some of the scenes. He began to seem a bit off. He would stop dead in his tracks a couple of times then start walking again. Or he would grab my shoulder for some sort of support. But one time he stopped, but he just collapsed on the floor and was imeadiatly unconscious. I panicked to say the least. I knelt by his side, and did what I was trained to do in a first aid course. Check his pulse, check if he was breathing and see if I could feel his breaths. People were now surrounding me. One offered to call the ambulance so I just screamed yes as a response. It wasn't meant to be taken as mean. I was shaken up and crying uncontrollably. I had called Kirstie, Avi and Kevin in the process of all this caos and they said they would be at the hospital waiting. Shortly after the ambulance arrived and took Mitch into the back. I climbed in after him and  held his hand the whole journey. The paramedics pulled Mitch through the ER. We passed the reception and Kirstie, Avi and Kevin were talking to the receptionist. I quickly dragged them shouting "They're with me"
I sat in the ER for an hour or so, with the rest of Pentatonix. They had taken Mitch in for check overs and scans. The rest of Pentatonix didn't know my plans for tonight. If Mitch had said yes then I would have taken him to them all showing my new fiancé off. Just thinking about it, I grabbed out the black velvet box from my coat pocket and began flicking it between my hands. Kirstie looked at me before sitting next to me. None of them could see what I was holding. Kirstie grabbed my hands to stop them from moving and took the box from my hand. She looked at it wide eyed. So was Avi and Kevin. She opened the lid and tears were falling from her face. She grabbed my hand squeezing it tight.
"You were going to propose to him?"
Kevin and Avi's faces changed as they began to cry.
"Tonight yea. I wanted to come up to you guys tomorrow morning showing off my gorgeous fiancé."
My voice cracked and my face fell into my hands.
"Mitch Grassi?"
We all exchanged looks before Kirstie pushed me up from my seat. I followed the doctor down the hallway.
"You must be Scott Hoying yes?"
"How did you know?"
"Mitch has been calling you for a while now"
"Wait Mitch is awake?  How is he?"
"Thats what I have to tell you. Mitch doesn't know himself yet, but I thought I'd tell you first. Mitch had got swelling on the brain when he was brought in"
I stood back.
"When we took him for an MRI scan, that swelling turned out to be a tumor"
My voice cracked and I was chocking on my words.
"Are you saying Mitch had brain cancer?"
"I'm so sorry Scott. But Mitch has indeed got stage 2 brain cancer."
"Can you do anything about it? Is there anyway he can get better?"
"Well yes. We will start chemotherapy on him as soon as we get his permission. He will start loosing hair fast and we will do everything we can to make Mitch better. You are lucky we found it when we did. If the cancer was stage 3 or 4, then we would have had hardly any chance of saving him and we would have had to let him die in his own time"
"Can I see him?"
"Of course. I'll send the rest of your friends in, in a moment. I'll give you two a couple of minutes."
"Is it ok if I brake the news to him?"
"It may be better for Mitch if you do it"
"Thank you"
The doctor nodded before walking back towards were Kirstie, Avi and Kevin were sitting. Probably to tell them about Mitch. I fiddled with the black box before sitting it in my pocket again. I slowly opened the door and Mitch's head snapped towards me. Tears welled his eyes. The same happened to me when i saw him. His hair was already starting to fall out. He looked pale and he was connected to an IV drip. He held his arms open and I put myself in them. I pulled away quickly before pushing my lips against his. Mitch kissed back almost imeadiatly.
"Mitchy, I'm so glad your ok!" I mumbled when I pulled away.
"Yea just a bit unwell thats all"
I started sobbing.
"Woah Scotty what's going on?" Mitch asked fear filled his voice.
"I was told to tell you but you have stage 2 brain cancer."
Mitch froze. It finally all hit him and he burst into sobs. He clutched my shoulder as his face was buried into my neck.
"Sssh baby its ok" I reassured.
"Is this why I have this thing" he tugged on his IV a little.
"Yea. It's going to be great baby. Your getting treatment so it's more likely that you will recover"
I decided to keep the proposing to myself for now. I wanted to wait til he wasn't in the state he is now. Kirstie came in with Avi and Kevin following behind.
"Did he say yes?" Kirstie asked calmly. My eyes widened and so did Mitch's.
"Say yes to what? Scott?"
I turned to Kirstie, and the realisation hit her on my plans and I saw her sigh at herself. I turned to Mitch to see his big brown eyes staring at me.
"Your chemotherapy. I have to ask for your permission to get it started"
Way to cover that up Scott...
"Oh yea sure. If it will help me." Mitch replied.
I signed all the papers on Mitch's behalf and the chemotherapy started. Mitch was reacting well to it. He did loose his hair but Mitch stayed strong and positive. He said it suited him. He was brave and positive every day no matter what he was hit with.
Me?
Well I was the complete opposite. The thought of Mitch dying gave me anxiety attacks and I became depressed. When I went to visit Mitch I said I was fine because I didn't want the stress of me becoming ill to affect his recovery. I didn't know what to do. I compensated killing myself at one point, but before the pills were on my tongue, Kirstie was there by my side.
"You need to do it Scott. It will help you."
"Not yet. I want Mitch to be better first."
"It might be too late Scott. Come on."
"I'll think about it"

Mitch was doing so well. 4 months into his chemotherapy and he was ahead of schedule for his finishing time for full recovery. He was able to come outside with me.
Before I walked into his room, Kirstie stood by my side.
"So when are you going to do it then Scott?"
"Today"
Her eyes went wide.
"Really?"
I just hummed in response. I fiddled with the black box in my pocket slightly. Kirstie patted my back before opening the door for me. Mitch was sat on his bed, fully dressed, watching his legs swinging.
"Mitchy you ready to go?"
His head shot up at my voice.
His hair was growing back.
"Yep I'm so excited to get out"
He walked over to me, and I intertwined our hands together.
"Have fun you two" Kirstie called.
"Will do" we said in unison.

"Have you ever thought about ending your life?" Mitch asked. We were walking around the grounds, our hands swinging backwards and forwards.
"What do you mean?"
"Like sometimes I don't see the point of living. Im some stupid ill person who is probably going to die anyway. But I don't wanna die. Its too scary to think about that. And I don't want to loose you."
We stood still. Tears were welling in Mitch's eyes. It's now or never Scott.
"Mitch when you first stared your chemotherapy, ibwas scared. The thoughts of loosing you, threw me into a pit of depression. I almost killed myself from the thoughts of you being in pain and dying. Kirstie stopped me and reminded me of something. I have you. The most beautiful and brave boyfriend in the world. Ever since I became yours three years ago, I knew we would be together forever. I want to seal that. The two of us. I wanted to do this 4 months ago in Vegas but you know, this happened,  so I wanted to do it now. I need to do this now."
I slowly got on one knee and pulled out the box from my back pocket. Mitch's hands flew to his face as tears were now clearly visible and streaming down his face.
"Michelle Coby Micheal Grassi, I love you with all my heart, I never want to let you go and I never want you to let me go. Mitch will you marry me?"
Mitch nodded his head vigorously. He finally managed to get his words out.
"Y-y-e-s. Yes Scott a trillion times yes!"
I stood up and put the ring on his finger. He jumped into my arms wrapping his legs around my waist. I slammed my lips against his, kissing him slowly. I placed hin on the ground before disconnecting our lips.
"I can finally show of my fiancé"
Mitch giggled wrapping his hand with mine.

"Scott?" I snapped my head to the priest standing next to me.
"Huh?"
"You zoned out" he whispered back.
I looked infront of me and there stood Mitch dressed so nicely in his suit and his makeup so pristine. This is not happening. I'm actually getting married to my best friend. A grin spread across my face, reaching ear to ear.
"You alright Scotty?" Mitch asked worridly.
"Im perfectly fine" I replied happily.
"Ok let's try this again"
"Scott you had just talked about how Mitch got cancer on your proposal day" the priest whispered to me.
"Ah yes. It was a horrible time for all of Pentatonix but we got though it. 5 months into chemotherapy he was cured and back to his happy normal self. I had my Mitchelle back and then here we are. Getting married. Its the best thing in the world. Mitch I love you so much and I am do grateful to be marrying someone as brave as you."
We said all the I dos then that cheesy moment came.
"I know pronounce you Mr Grassi-Hoying. You may kiss the groom."
I took Mitch's cheeks into my palms abd brought his lips to mine. His arms went around my neck. Claps were heard everywhere.

We swayed backwards and forwards for our first dance. It was to Ed Sheeran's Thinking out loud.
"Don't ever let go of your hopes and dreams Mitchy"
"I won't unless you give up on your own"
We both giggled pressing our foreheads against eachother.

2051 words
.
Wooo XD
.
Anyway hope you enjoyed
.
Follow me on Instagram ptxscomichy13
.
Love ya'll ♥ ♡ ♥ ♡
.
Stay Strong
.
Xxbluesparkles13xX