Epilogue End

Epilogue

Helena is thirteen. She's been really moody, she won't tell me what's going on. Which isn't like her, she usually tells me everything. She has her hands in her hair and she is working on her homework while I stand in the kitchen looking over what we should do for dinner. With Chinese, Japanese, Mexican, Italian, or Fast food menus laying out in front of me. All of which will be eating out.

She yells from the sofa, "Have you made a choice yet? I need help with my math homework."

"I haven't yet but I can still help with that math homework."

Sitting beside her I explain once again the system of PEMDAS. She again asks who would come up with something like that? Only to again decide she hates math. Ignoring her attitude I look back at my choices.

Chinese, Japanese, Mexican, Italian, or Fast food?

She scoffs, "Dad you know want Chinese."

"But I know you want Japanese."

"So then lets go to a place that does both."

Liking her idea I look into it on my phone as she continues doing her homework with a side of complaining. As I search I notice her pull out her phone and send text messages.

"Helena, homework."

****

In the room Helena takes practically an hour to get dressed. She smiles walking by looking just as her mother once did. I refrain from commenting on her knee high socks and her use of leg warmers and instead smile.

"Let's get there before they close."

She laughs, "Dad I didn't even take that long this time."

Getting to the restaurant she and I sit at the table together. For some reason Helena chose to sit in a booth, though we usually just sit at the two seated tables. She looks around the room before picking up her menu.

"What's going on? I know you're up to something."

She again laughs her face shocked, "Uh dad...I don't know what you mean."

"What are you inviting someone? Expecting someone? Do you have a boyfriend? Is that what this is about? Some guy..."

Saying the words I almost feel sick. She's my little girl, my apple of my eye, the love of my life. She's my best friend...I'm definitely not ready for her to have a boyfriend. And at the thought I merely lose my appetite.

"No dad! Geez! Relax you're turning red!" She shrieks her arm stretched out towards me.

Finally breathing, I nod, "Okay so, then what's going on?"

A woman comes up to the table, "Hi Helena, Hi uh Mr. Horan should I call you Horan?"

"Or Niall, my students call me Mr. Horan all day everyday."

She smiles, "I understand that..." she hovers over the chair before Helena invites her to sit.

"Helena hasn't told me anything about you...I--" I try to say before she interrupts.

She breaks in, "Oh gosh I forgot to introduce myself. My name is Gabriella Eastwood. I usually just go by Gabby. Helena invited me and said you said it would be okay."

I raise a brow at Helena and she goes on to say, "Helena tells me you're into old records."

"I am...I like olden day music."

"I do also....not as much as you I don't actually have a record player. But my mother and grandmother were big on music by Frank Sinatra."

"Yeah mine too..." I say weirded out by her jumping into that topic.