the crash

She was seated on the floor when I came in the house. Her hair was up in the sloppiest of ways. She wore a pair of worn in sweatpants and a spaghetti strap tank top. She looked up at me and back at what was in her hand.

"Baby are you okay?"

"I'm. I'm pregnant. I'm pregnant with a baby. Your baby, I'm pregnant." She seemed to be in a stupor but my heart had accelerated.

My mind could only seem to repeat those two words. She's pregnant. She's pregnant.

"Wait are you upset?"

"I can't be pregnant, I'm still in school I'll probably never finish if this baby is born. You and I aren't married yet people will think we're getting married because I'm pregnant. I don't want people to think that. What about this place it's no where near safe for a baby? I just I don't....what if---"

I grabbed a hold of her, "Hey hey hey, it's okay you're moving way too fast take a step at a time love. You're pregnant that's great news. You will finish school you're already almost finished. You'll be graduating before she even gets here. As for the wedding we can just move it up to have it before you start to show. Even though people will think what they want, whether you are knocked up or not people would think that. We can always baby proof the place or get a new place that's baby friendly.

She sighed heavily, "I'm sorry, you're right babe." She smiled up at me and I took a seat beside her. I didn't know what to do so I just put my hand there. "I don't know what stage you're at in there but if you can hear me. I already can't wait to meet you."

Tori smiled beside me, "Niall you are the best thing that has ever happened to me."

"You are the best thing to happen to me to babe."

***

"What are you thinking?" Her mom asked. Her face showing pure distain. She was holding it together better than her husband. I force myself to look at her mother only recognizing the features of my wife.

I had called them all, making the conversations as short as possible. I wasn't really able to say much more than Tori is in the hospital there was an accident. Both the mom's understood but my dad couldn't even begin to understand. I just had to tell him come as soon as you can. Which they did, they were both here in a matter of an hour.

"About her, I can't stop thinking about her. Only good things but it's good things. I'm thinking about the baby." I said my eyes watering.

She grabs a hold of me touching my back. "Tell us what happened Niall."

My mom interjects, "No rush, just when you're ready."

I nod, "I should tell you, I wasn't with her. I was on the phone with her."

***

"Hey baby, are you home?"

"No, I'm leaving the school now."

"Me too." She said. "I actually understood what my professor was teaching. I swear I think he might have read my drafted email." She and I both laughed.

"Don't think it works that way babe. But alright." I laughed a little more. "How's my baby?"

"She's good, I felt her kicking and twisting."

By the way those words played into the phone I could tell that she was smiling. Ever since she found out she was pregnant she had been on an emotional roller coaster. I took a right turn before hearing her say something.

"What was that baby?"

"Nothing just some ass hole speeding by me like my car isn't right here." She goes onto say, "I swear to god if only they knew what I was capable of!"