My Name is Three (chapter eighteen)

Start from the beginning

[pause 17.5s]

"It was weird, that he knew that. He wasn't asking, he was just making a statement. Eight could do that. You thought he was asking a question, but really he was just... stating a fact. I remember that about him."

[pause 71.5s]

"Eight... I... I.."

[pause 35s]

"You know... there's three people I think could... could make me feel better about... the baby... if they were here right now."

[pause 19s]

"Eight, obviously. But then...there's also... my mum. She could... she.."

[pause 45s]

"The third one... is Six. I mean, as a doctor, he... he'd know... what's... what to..."

[pause 39s]

"He's dead now. So, well..."

[pause 4.5s]

"But... when i think of them dying, I always end up thinking about Eight. There's always hope, but... but... what if he's..."

[pause 90.5s]

"Oh, what am I talking about? There's only me in here."

[pause 11s, voices]

"Can we leave it for a while?"

[click]

***

[click]

[pause 34s, voices]

"OK... I'll try."

[pause 4s]

"Wait... wait, say something..."

[pause 1.5s, voices]

"What... hold on, what happened to the other two?"

[pause 11.5s, voices]

"Oh."

[pause 18s]

"... Why? And where did they-"

[pause 9s, voices]

"OK, OK."

[pause 19.5s]

"... So... err... I remember Eight saying that to me, saying that he expected me to run away, and... and I told him about... what I said a while ago, about thinking about how Tyburn had killed Zero without... without a thought. And... how Alecto had ordered him to do that."

[pause 15.5s]

"Eight asked me what I meant by that. I... I said..."

[pause 24.5s]

"The thing is... the thing is that... since I'd joined the D.E.M.... well, not joined, because that makes it sound like I did it voluntarily... since I'd been with them... mostly since what happened in the old factory, with Zero... I'd started to think that... maybe there was something more... to what the, the D.E.M were fighting for. That's why I hadn't run away. Already, I was starting to have doubts about..."

[pause 16.5s]

"Anyway. I said all this to Eight, and... he listened, and then he said,

"Right, so. Well, that's fair enough. You do know, though, how unlikely it is that you'll survive?"

I nodded, without really... thinking about it, and he... laughed."

[pause 19s]

"Then he said,

"Follow me. There's something I want you to see."

He didn't wait for me to, to reply or answer, he just turned and walked out of the room. I had to run to keep up."

[pause 17.5s]

"I remember following him... up through the house, around the corridors, and... up to the highest point. Not the roof, but just... an attic room, with a huge window in one wall. You could see all the eastern part of the city, including that ruind factory, with the white chimneys, and.... and that was... In the whole of that house, that was the only place you could see the Bureaux buildings, with New 10 Downing Street... behind them."

[pause 11.5s]

"Eight was pointing towards it. He said to me,

"Do you know what that building is?"

[pause 9s]

"It seemed like such an obvious question, I thought I'd misheard.. I looked around at him, and I said,

"What?"

He said,

"That building. Do you know what it is?"

[pause 25s]

"I said,

"Errr, it's New 10 Downing Street...?"

[pause 5.5s]

"He didn't look at me. He said - he was totally serious, not even smiling-without-smiling... and he said... I'll always remember this, no matter what happened... in the end..."

[pause 20.5s]

"Eight said,

"No, Three. That's not New Ten"

.... he always used that, the abbreviation of the name...

"That's not New Ten. What that is, is a great big fucking target."

[pause 15.5s, voices]

[click]

Hey guys!

Well it's been a while since I uploaded Three, it was fun to take a break and write something else, then come back to it.

Ok Mia, u didn't get it on ur birthday, but... did u notice? Hope u liked it.

Don't forget to commentify, guys!