My name is Three (chapter 3)

--Vocal recording 66394--Cell 84--

   21:48pm

[click]

[pause 34s]

[singing, too quiet to be discerned 19.5s]

[pause 16s, voices]

"Oh, have we started? OK, fine."

[pause 13s]

"10 days to go."

[pause 34s]

"I can't think what to..."

[pause 53s, voices]

"Yeah, OK, sure."

[pause 11s]

"After I killed my parents, I ran. I just felt like I had to get away. All I could smell was the smoke, and the..."

[pause 8s]

"Anyway... I just ran away through the streets. It was getting late, by that point, the streetlamps were on..."

[pause 17.5s, voices]

"I wasn't really thinking about where I was going, to be honest. I had nowhere to go anyway. I suppose, if I'd been thinking, I could have gone into one of the communal shelters, the ones they use in the hurricanes. I knew about the city curfew, but I had no idea what happened if the patrols caught you out after hours."

[pause 10s, voices]

"In our district, it was in effect after nine pm. But it was winter, so it was dark anyway at about five. I probably thought it was later than it actually was."

[pause 15s]

"I wonder if things would've turned out differently if I'd hidden in one of the shelters for the night. At least I probably wouldn't have... well anyway, there's not much point in speculating. I didn't go to the shelters,so that's that. They're not a safe place for a teenage girl anyway. Could be all kinds of..."

[pause 26.5s]

"Can we come back to this?"

[click]

                        ***

[click]

[pause 15s]

"I've been thinking a lot about music lately. The songs that Eight told me about have paticularly stuck in my head. All Pre-Manuductive stuff, of course, really old. One of them has a man singing about protecting someone..." [laughter]

[pause 125s]

"Eight... I'm sorry, I'm sorry, I'm sorry... [speech lapses into  indiscernable whispering 76s] 

[click]

                       ***

[click]

[pause 32.5s, voices]

"Yeah, I'll be fine, but can we make this shorter than usual, please?"

[pause 7.5s, voices]

"Thanks. Anyway... as I ran, I passed the kind of people you'd expect to find in the streets after dark, at least in our district. The usual gangs of homeless people - but how do they get around curfew? - and a few nutcases out of their minds on Ambrozia."

[pause 18s, voices]

"Ambrozia, you know, the drug- anyway... after a while... I came across a back alley. I was completely lost. I sat down and... I just cried and cried."

[pause 43s]

"I never, ever cry usually, but then..."

[pause 16.5s]

"I suppose I must've just blacked out for a while. And... When I, when I woke up..."

[pause 20s]

"There was someone standing over me. I saw them for a tiny moment, and then... they must've hit me on the head of something, because..."

[pause 13s]

"I - I think I'm done for tonight."

[click]

Part four on its way, guys!!!