My Name is Three (Chapter Sixteen)

--Vocal recording 66406--Cell 84--21:40pm

[click]

[pause 29.5s]

"I can hear rain again. On the roof. It's so loud, it's... strange. You wouldn't think you could hear it, in Eden 28, but..."

[pause 15s]

"Eden 28... I've said it before, but it's all underground. Most of it. Except this part of it, I guess. Feels weird, being so close to the surface, and not being able to..."

[pause 8s, voices]

"I always have trouble knowing where to start. I..."

[pause 17s, voices]

"OK... I remember that, after Eight had told me his "story", he said to me,

 "you should probably get some sleep, you know. God knows what's going to happen tomorrow. There's no way they're going to let us get away with that. With what happened at the old factory, I mean."

At that point, I realised he was right. It had been hours since I'd properly slept."

[pause 11s, voices]

"Actually, most of... us... had seperate rooms. The house, or whatever it had been, was fairly big. There were a lot of rooms to it. That night, I remember I slept in a little room off from one of the corridors. It actually took me a while to get to sleep, even though I was tired. I remember the view from that room... I could just about see that ruined building... the one I mentioned last time. It had - it has - four huge, tall white chimneys at each corner."

[pause 15.5s]

"It was... such a beautiful building, really. The Manuductive never really puts much effort into design or architecture. Except for the Bureau buildings, and obviously New 10 Downing Street."

[pause 21s, voices]

I know I said that. The thing is..."

[pause 16.5s]

"... Ow..."

[pause 10.5s]

"That... that was weird."

[pause 19s]

"I... I just got... a really strange feeling. Like stomach cramps, only... just really briefly. Like... like something..."

[pause 11s]

"Stopped now. How strange."

[pause 20s]

"...Anyway... the next morning, I remember waking up... 

[pause 13.5s]

"And I heard... straight away, I heard... Sounds... voices, coming from downstairs, from the other rooms. I wasn't sure what to do, so... I just headed towards where the voices were coming from."

[pause 16s]

"It's weird. I suppose I... I could have run, then. Escaped. When none of them were looking. I mean, I was still a little scared of them... they had tried to kill me, no matter what reason Eight gave for it. But... I suppose... well..."

[pause 11s]

"I probably wouldn't have gotten far, anyway. The Mapmen or the M.C.P. would have caught me. But the thing is... I thought about runnning away. But I didn't. I didn't want to. I could imagine Two's expression if I did. I could imagine Eight's... contempt."

[pause 15.5s]

"And... I think, even then, there was... something else. I remember thinking about the way Alecto had had Zero shot. And... the way Tyburn had... had laughed at Twelve. When she was crying over Zero."