"I'm sorry, dear, I don't think I heard you correctly. Are you asking me to explain my witchcraft?"

"It's not witchcraft."

"I guess we'll be here for a while."

She sighed. "Fine. Let's say I do believe you. How does a witch get them to stop then?"

"It's simple, child. I'll have to use something to keep your power contained. The power you have is what is making them go so crazy in the first place."

"My power?" Then it clicked. "You mean pure magic?"

"You're smart. That's good. That'll make my job easier. Yes, child, I mean pure magic. Supernaturals go berserk around it."

"But ... this is the first time."

"You've been wearing a charm all this time. I know because I was the one who made it. Your mother came to me when you were just a child, asking for help. She knew she wouldn't be able to protect you all the time, so she needed you to wear something that'll protect you when she wasn't there."

"A charm ..." What charm could she ... "My necklace!"

"That's the one. But now you've gone and lost it and caused all this ruckus."

"It wasn't my fault." Without thinking, her hand fumbled at her throat, seeking the necklace she lost. "I was attacked by lycans and it got lost during the fight."

"Whatever the reason is, it's gone now."

"So can't you make me a new charm?"

"Not until your mother gets here."

"Why..." A knock sounded at the door, cutting Jasmine's words off. It was frantic and loud and Jasmine knew just who it was before she heard her voice.

"Jaz? Madame Ophelia? Are you in there?"

Jasmine shot to her feet. Madame Ophelia sighed loudly, pushing herself into standing position but Jasmine was already at the door. She swung it open. Jacey Wynter stood on the other end of the screen door. She was panting, wisps of curly black hair pulled out of its hold. When she saw Jasmine, her face relaxed with relief. Jasmine pushed the screen door opened and, before she could blink, her mother had her in a bone crushing grip. She felt the same knee buckling relief race through her, but she didn't return the hug.

Jacey pulled away. "Jaz, are you okay? You didn't get hurt, did you?"

"No, mommy, I'm fine. You're good, right?"

"I'm fine, dear. I'm fine." Jacey was breathless. She stepped into the house and Jasmine closed the door behind her, trying not to look at the supernaturals hurting themselves against the wall protecting her. Jacey went straight to the spot Jasmine just left and sank into the uncomfortable couch. "I'm so tired."

"Nice to see you too, Jacey."

Jacey sat up when she noticed Ophelia. She nodded in respect. "Thank you so much for taking care of her, Madame Ophelia."

"I couldn't just let the child die, now could I?"

"Still, thank you so much."

"I heard you the first time, dearie. Now, are we going to do this or what?" Without waiting for an answer, Ophelia turned her back to mother and daughter and went into another room.

"Going to do what?" Jasmine sat beside her mother, face contorted in question.

Jacey didn't look at her first. She still stared after Ophelia. After a few moments passed, she turned to face Jasmine. "Did Madame Ophelia tell you anything?"