Chapter 9 (Richard finally sees Sherry again)

The helicopter lands on top of the hospital roof. Richard and his suitcase are brought out of the helicopter by a team of doctors and nurses. The pilot points out to them that Richard has passed out and has been dehydrated for about seven hours. The doctors and nurses take him into a blue surgery room to check for any further injuries.

Right away, Richard is put in a room next door from President Fugue. Before doing so, the doctors and nurses remove the torch from him. It is placed into a cardboard box, with the batteries removed, and is left in the surgical suite for the night. Richard does not need the torch at the moment.

The next morning, President Fugue is sleeping in for a bit. Sherry takes Richard's suitcase from the president's room and brings it into his room. Richard is hungry and thirsty after all the traveling. Standing by the bed, Sherry gently places her right hand over his left shoulder. He opens his eyes, and tries to focus on her. "Sherry?" Richard asks gently. She smiles at him after her name is said. "I am here," he says to her enthusiastically. She hugs him gently and rests her head on his chest.

She provides him a turkey sausage and egg sandwich wrapped in recyclable packaging

She provides him a turkey sausage and egg sandwich wrapped in recyclable packaging. He gently takes the sandwich and eats it. After he finishes the sandwich, Sherry takes a cup of Earl Grey and gently hovers it under his nose. "You must drink after that long journey of yours," she says to him, "I heard you have not had anything to consume for a long period of time." He gently takes the cup from her, thanks her, and takes a sip.

The twenty children step into Richard's room, and harmonically sing Johann Sebastian Bach's "In dulci jubilo BWV 368." The guardians of the twenty children arrive at the hospital to check on their children. They all join in and sing with them. Sherry and Richard join in as well.

Meanwhile, a loud alarm goes off in the president's room

Meanwhile, a loud alarm goes off in the president's room. The guardians race into the room to find a monitor screen with a long flat line as the cause for the alarm. The president has caught his last breath, and is at peace. He is now home with the Lord. They return to Richard's room to explain to the others that the president is now in a happy place, heaven.

They all grow tearful until the old mayor and maiden step in. Dressed in red and green suits, Tim and Teresa Tivoli both say out loud, "Please do not cry. We will fill in for him." "You will?" Richard asks as he tries to calm himself down. "Yes, starting tomorrow," they both answer.

A few minutes later, thepresident has already been gently lowered in a shiny black casket ready to beburied behind the Concerto County Catholic Cathedral

A few minutes later, thepresident has already been gently lowered in a shiny black casket ready to beburied behind the Concerto County Catholic Cathedral. The wife of the president, with brown hair and blue eyes, comes into Richard's room and says,"The funeral will be held on Wednesday morning at nine in the Concerto County Catholic Cathedral." "We will all be there," the crowd responds. "What time in the morning?" Sherry asks the widowed one. "It will be at 10 AM," she replies,"I promise that it will not conflict with your wedding." "Wedding?" the crowdsays. "Yes, the wedding," Richard says, "That will be at five in the afternoon that evening." "We mustn't delay," the Tivoli's respond, "We better write that down on our calendars because we almost forgot about that. Thanks for heads up." "No problem," Sherry answers, "but I just wish President Fugue could have attended.""I know how it feels, Sherry," the widowed one kindly says to Sherry, "Butdon't worry. I will be there on his behalf." "You will?" Sherry and Richard say simultaneously. "Yes," she answers.