Chapter 53: Connecting The Dots

Beginne am Anfang

"Yes," Derek answered as he scooped scones onto three plates. "Well, other than feverish lovemaking next door, it was a pretty peaceful night."

My cheeks flamed red causing Derek to laugh hard right as Ethan turned the corner. He looked at me then at Derek with a raised brow. "Did I miss something?"

Derek shook his head before he winked deviously at me, causing me to bury my face in my coffee mug. "No, but I hope you like scones."

"Did you make them?" Ethan asked as he walked to the coffeepot.

Derek nodded as he put some bacon on a plate along with some eggs. "I did."

"Then I will definitely like them," Ethan replied with a smile as he pulled out a mug.

I followed Derek to the island and slid onto a barstool as he passed me a plate. Ethan put his mug down next to mine then walked to the refrigerator to grab the butter dish. "So," Derek asked as he cut into his scone while Ethan placed the dish on the table. "What's on the agenda for today?"

I sliced some butter off them placed it on my plate before I broke off a piece of scone and put a little butter one it. It was a firework of cinnamon, brown sugar, and what tasted like a little nutmeg in my mouth. I had to suppress a groan while I made a mental note to get Derek to make up some dough so I could freeze it for later.

"Well, Evan's coming over with Lyanna and Bernard. We need to go back through the new material we have, as fun as it sounds," Ethan said, his voice almost grumbling as he finished.

"Well, we can make mimosas?" Derek said, faint hope in his voice.

I quickly nodded. "Yes, yes, yes–all the above."

Ethan rolled his eyes before he bit into his scone. "This is so good," he said through his mouthful.

Derek chuckled and shook his head at me. "Elliot's just as bad."

We finished breakfast in time for Derek to run home and bring back a few bottles of champagne he had left in my cabin and some orange juice. He and I drank mimosas while he taught me how to make his favorite granola as Ethan started to unpack some boxes of paperwork around the living room.

"Babe?"

"Yes?" I called back.

"Do we still have popcorn?"

"Would you like some?" I replied while Derek checked the oven as the smell of our granola mixed with various dried fruit, nuts, and this brown sugar cinnamon heavenly concoction filled my kitchen.

"Please?" Ethan asked, looking up at me with faint puppy dog eyes.

Evan was walking to our door with Lyanna next to him and Bernard behind him. He had trimmed his hair, but it was still long enough for him to pull back in a small ponytail, which Ethan seemed to be slightly envious of.

I shook my head at him with a sly smile, causing him to roll his eyes as Evan opened the door. Evan walked in with a box of cookies that Lyanna had baked along with some yogurt-dipped pretzels that he and Ethan started to argue over, mostly because Ethan kept stealing some from Evan.

"Mimosa?" I offered Bernard.

He looked over at me with a relieved nod. "Please."

"Morning Char," Lyanna said as she rubbed my cheek against hers.

"There's scones Lyanna if you want some," Derek said as he poured Bernard his drink.

"Scones?" Evan said with hungry eyes. "Bro you didn't tell me that Derek made breakfast."