Chapter 4: Lean on Me

We came home quickly from the treehouse with the new items in hand

We came home quickly from the treehouse with the new items in hand. Ethan was careful to screw back the panel as if nothing had ever disturbed its slumber.

When we got back he immediately drug me to a small closet under the stairs and showed me a safe where he kept things like his birth certificate, passports, a watch that used to be his fathers, some other family heirlooms, and a couple grand in cash in case 'We have to ever get the hell out of here.'

The box was locked safely there, away from prying eyes who would try to use them to harm us. Frame us. Frame Ethan.

My beast stalked back and forth inwardly, she wanted to eliminate this threat. She wanted their throats for ever even having such a thought about our mate.

I did too and I knew that good things would come to the wolves that bunkered down and waited.

Ethan was laying with his head in my lap after we had a long shower. His beast was calm, well, calmer. I ran my fingers through his hair while he traced the small lines on my legs, drawing patterns of nothing but soothing the agony that still ate away at me.

"Want to link him?" Ethan asked.

I nodded. "I'll do it."

I leaned back and closed my eyes so I could find the bond, the rope of steel, that connected Levi and me.

"Levi?"

I felt him stir before a familiar presence filled my brain. "Charlie girl, everything alright?"

I sighed a little. "Yes, no, hold on I'm pulling Ethan in."

Ethan was easy to find in my brain, he would always be easy to find. Even with everything that had been dumped on us, he still burned like a white-hot fire, constantly simmering over our bond.

I pulled him as he kissed the back of my hand and began to play with my fingers. Levi stirred a some more before I could feel him settle. "Well you two, tell me what this is about?"

"We went looking for evidence tonight Levi," Ethan stated with a tone laced in somberness. "We went to my old house then the treehouse."

"And?"

"The old house was like it was last time I saw it, burnt down, but I did notice a shit load of those rocks scattered around it."

Levi rumbled then let out a stressed breath. "Those damn things are like herpes, I feel like we can't get rid of them."

I felt a smile tug at my lips while Ethan rolled his eyes. "There's more Levi," I added gently.

"Tell me," he replied.

"We went to the treehouse tonight and at first we didn't find anything," Ethan said as he linked our fingers together. "Char made me list out the repairs though and somehow I thought about the little cubby where Eli used to stash beer–"