Chapter 9: Layers

Thomas and Miranda were not in the pack house today, and I was thankful

Thomas and Miranda were not in the pack house today, and I was thankful. More than thankful. After last night, I had to talk both Ethan and myself down from going after him.

But the thing was, we had a feeling this was someone else. Someone besides Thomas. The mole.

We didn't have any real proof, but we both agreed that it felt so much like that's what it was. It was a gut feeling we could both feel it over the bond.

Pop and Lucy helped calm us down and promised to talk to us over dinner, when we were both calmer, about the treaty. Lucy also offered to hang out with Elliot when she had free time, which Elliot totally agreed to. Lucy's baking was pretty on point.

Ethan was furious though, still on edge. He was working through the paperwork that David had sent over; we had to work faster now. We had to take risks and find a real lead, because it felt like time was running out; like the hourglass was on its last bits of sand.

He sat back in his chair and groaned a little. "You ok?" I asked while I helped him get some of the new transfer papers together.

He nodded. "David's stuff is done, he should be here in a day or so. Hopefully sooner. I need him and Billy to help me grill everyone," he bit out.

I walked to him and sat down on his thigh while my hand rubbed his arms that were tense from he pressure cooker we both felt like we were living in.

"What else is there to do?"

"I need to finish up some things for initiation and check in with our patrol captains. Usually, Evangeline would go check accommodations for the new transfers, but I don't want you our by yourself sunshine."

"Ethan, I'll be fine. We can let Murphy or Ryder know and Miranda said something about me taking Amber so she could show me how. I doubt Thomas would attack his own daughter, and this would give me an opportunity to feel her out."

"Charlotte..." his eyes held some of the same fear that I saw last night.

I kissed him quickly then sat back. "Ethan I will be ok, I'll have someone with me and I will link you if anything happens. Ok?"

He leaned up and kissed me, longer this time like he was memorizing the feeling of my lips. "Fine, but if something happens, you need to wait until either I or someone else comes. Ok?" He looked my face over while the fear tugged at him some more. "Baby I won't ever forgive myself if something ever happened to you."

"Ok," I breathed out before kissing him again. I pulled away, a little reluctantly, then walked out of his office with his eyes gazing after me. My beast whined, she didn't like seeing her male like this–seeing him afraid.

I didn't either and I knew we had work to do, if anything it was frustrating. I knew Ethan was coming from a good place, but we couldn't let our fears control us right now. There was too much to do.