The Final Stage - Chapter 20: Exodus

Start from the beginning

            Kit-Kat approached her dad and hugged him her long red hair dropping over him. “You know, I had a dream about her the other night.”
            Parker looked up at his daughter. “I dream about her every night. I wish I could have been there. I wish I could have done something.”

            “I wish I did something.” Kit-Kat held back tears then shook the bad thoughts away. An eight-year-old boy ran into the room. He was slim and had dirty blond hair cut short into a bowl cut. He flew a toy spaceship around the room. His favorite toy.

            Parker looked to Kit-Kat and whispered, “he looks more like him every day. I hate it.” Parker got up and walked out of the room to finish packing his bags.

            Kit-Kat grabbed the boy and tickled him to the ground.

***

            Trevor sat on a hill with a curvy twisted tree dead for years and the red polluted sky painting a mural of everything the planet had been through. Trevor sat on the hill overlooking the launch site of the ships. He leaned back onto his arms pensive in thought.

            Kojak moved up to his side and sat down putting an arm around the man.

            “Don’t,” Trevor shrugged off his arm.

            The taller tanner man still unageing kept his eyes on Trevor. “It’s not your fault. You had to do it.”

            “Did I?” Trevor replied. “I had to be the bad guy. I had to be abducted that night all those years ago. You know. I didn’t even want to go rock climbing. I had a math test the next day.” Trevor shook his head. “I had a math test the next day and I decided to go rock climbing.”

            “The invasion, it all would have still happened. The world would have been much worse off.” Kojak answered.

            The sun began to set over the horizon gleaming off silver towers in the distance, the ships which once were built for war but now morphed into salvation for the human race.

            Trevor leaned over and kissed Kojak moving his arm behind Kojak’s head and pushing his lips tighter. A feeling that once was warm and comforting felt cold now. Over the years it grew more and more numb. “I can’t love anymore.”

            “Don’t say that…” Kojak answered reaching over and grabbing Trevor's hand. Trevor pulled his hand free moving away from Kojak.

            “You mean don’t tell the truth.” Trevor stood up and felt a soft wind caress his cheek. “I need to see him Kojak. I need to see my son.”  Kojak stood up and the two watched the last sunset they would see on Earth together.

***

            Lines stretched out leading to the ships, this was one of the many launch sites around the world and the mass exodus to leave Earth has already started days ago. Airports were filled with planes and buses, trucks, cars, everything to get the last bits of the human race to these ships.

            Holding a gun and dressed in military apparel Harry helped keep the crowds orderly as they proceeded through the health inspections and towards the ships. The tired eyes of the human race proceeded towards the ships in the early morning night.

            Kit-Kat’s fiery red hair was pulled back into a messy bun and she held her little brother’s hand. They waited on the other side of the health checkpoint for their father. Once he got cleared he continued through and put his bag through the scanner. They would be assigned a room on the ship and were being pointed in the direction to the Novum Initium the ship that would be their home until Earth found a new place to land.

            “Come on you goof.” Kit-Kat laughed and nudged him forward but then stopped spotting Trevor in the distance. She grabbed her brother’s shoulder holding him back. Parker approached the two eager to get on the ship. He quickly recognized Kit-Kat’s silence and his eyes fell onto Trevor.

            “I’ll handle this.” Parker moved forward and instantly pushed Trevor backwards onto the ground. He jumped on top of Trevor and punched him hard in the face. “Fuck you!”

            Quickly, Harry pulled Parker off of Trevor and then singled the other military personnel that it was okay; “calm down,”
            Parker was taken aback and looked from Trevor to Harry, “who would have thought we would meet like this?” Parker calmed down and then looked at Trevor. “You don’t have any right to show your face here. I don’t care if you’re a national hero. People like you shouldn’t receive medal of honors.”

            “Heh, I threw that out long ago.” Trevor answered to Parker’s surprise. “I suppose, I should have come and apologized earlier...”

            “Whatever you have is far too little and way too late.” Parker growled his fist clenched.

            “I know,” Trevor nodded. “I just want to see my son.”

            “Well, you’ve seen him.” Parker spat out. “What? You all of a sudden decided to be a father.”
            “Hey,” Harry interrupted. “Let’s not say things we can’t take back.”

            “This is none of your fucking business.” Parker shouted then poked Trevor in the chest. “No chance.” Parker returned to his family and the three of them continued towards their ship.

            Harry pat Trevor’s back and Trevor started to cry. Trevor moved away from Harry and started to walk in the opposite direction. Suddenly, he felt a tug on his pant leg. Turning, Trevor noticed his son, who had separated from his family and stopped to look up at Trevor. He smiled and handed Trevor his toy spaceship.

            “Don’t be sad mister.” The same familiar eyes, these untainted with hate and war looked up at Trevor. The young man ran back to Kit-Kat and Parker and continued with his family to the ship.

            Trevor looked down at the toy spaceship and smiled some teardrops fell onto the ship and he felt a feeling he hadn’t in a long time. Love.

The End