The Final Stage - Chapter 20: Exodus

The Final Stage – Chapter 20: Exodus

            Harry let Kojak sit against the wall in the hallway, which now looked more like a third world war ridden country. The gunshots stopped and the smoke and dust began to settle. The scene that unfolded itself was one of death. Shaking on the ground, all of the aliens were dying, getting internally fried. The telepathic wavelength connecting their DNA with the machine was working. As the final alien stopped shaking Harry went up and kicked it, dead.

            Cheers filled the hallways from the surviving soldiers; the war had finally been won. Turning back Harry headed to Kojak’s side. He was pale but his leg had stopped bleeding. One of the reasons Harry knew Kojak was an alien; he could heal faster than any human could.

            “It’s over,” Harry smiled putting a hand on Kojak’s shoulder. “It’s finally over.”

            “Go see if he’s okay,” Kojak responded and motioned down theh hallway towards the hanger they had been protecting. Harry nodded and bolted off down the hallway.

***

            Tears streamed down Trevor’s cheek as he continued to watch his the last semblances of life leave his friend’s body. He panted trying to catch his breath between sobs. “Garut, stop it. I can’t…”

            “They’re almost all dead.” Garut answered. “It interesting, it must be working because…carrying the baby all that time left alien traces in her system.” He nodded.

            “Mommy,” Kit-Kat cried in the distance. Trevor looked over at the young red head and then his eyes moved up to Harry who appeared in the doorway and watched Carol twitch one last time then her body went limp. The water of the machine started to spill out onto the floor pouring onto Trevor's shoes and pants. Trevor grabbed the limp body of his friend before it hit the floor. The young girl ran to Carol’s side and shook the woman. “Wake up. Mommy! Mommy!”

Eight Years Later…

            “Mommy!” A very different little girl shouted running to her mother, the first lady of the United States. The new President Mark Sanchez, a former FBI agent, watched his wife take his daughter out of the room. Sanchez sat down in front of the camera. This would be his last address to the people of his country. Similar addresses of world leaders all around the world were taking place. The camera went on and he took a deep breath and looked down at his speech.

            “Dear the people of the world. As you know these past nine years have pushed our people, our human race to the brink of extinction. It saddens me to say that we have lost too many people.”

***

            “Dad!” A fifteen-year old Kit-Kat entered the small bedroom of the apartment she had been living in the past few years. “I can’t find that picture of mom.”

            “I have it,” Parker held a picture of Carol and him when they were in high school. Parker sat in an old recliner watching the television. In one hand he held Carol’s picture and in the other he held a green ticket.

            From the television the president’s speech continued, “…so we must leave Earth behind and create new memories among the stars. The ships once built for war have been transformed. They will be our home until we find another. I am confident that we will find another place to live, another place to create memories and mostly another place where we can leave the suffering behind.”