Stage 7: Rebirth - Chapter 16: The Rise of Civilization

Stage 7: Rebirth – Chapter 16: The Rise of Civilization

            Carol opened the door and ran into the house. Parker and Kit-Kat followed behind her. The three hurried to the back bedroom, Parker’s mom’s room then peaked out the window. The ship smashed into the Earth miles away and a flash of light lit up the sky. Parker grabbed the two and pulled them back grabbing the blanket off the bed and wrapping the two girls in it. The glass shook and it sounded like a truck was smashing into the house. The glass shattered. The sky was dark and full of dust and Carol crept out from the blanket. She looked at Parker and then her eyes widened.

            “Harry?” Carol dashed out of the room. Parker ran after her and Kit Kat climbed onto the bed the glass crunching beneath the young girl’s sneakers. She pulled herself up to the broken window and felt a warm breeze flow into the room. Looking out she noticed something that looked like snow but it was much too warm for that. Stepping out the dark dusty snow was really ash.

            Kit Kat held out her small hand and saw a few flakes of the ash fall into her hand and looked up at the world that she would come to know very well, her emerald green eyes clear and knowing.

Nine Months Later…

            Emerald green eyes concentrated on the minimal shelves in the grocery store. A young red head by the name of Kit Kat with a short pixy cut was trying to find something to give to her mom, or at least the woman that took her in to be her mother. Then, out of nowhere she spotted it. A can of peaches, she hurried and grabbed it then ran through the store to the front. Military soldiers guarded the entrance and a lethargic older woman was ringing a very pregnant woman up.

            “This too!” Kit Kat added and slid the can across the counter. Carol, looking knackered, took the can an nodded added it to the card.

            “80 credits.” The cashier nodded and Carol handed the card to the woman.

            “You mean a gallon of water is 11 Credits?” Carol shook her head. “We won’t be able to afford it if it keeps going up.”

            The woman ignored Carol’s statement then handed Carol back her card. Carol grabbed her grocery bag and held Kit Kat’s hand leaving the store. Kit Kat eyed one of the soldiers and the two proceeded to the car opening the door.

            Driving through the bleak streets of a heavily military occupied city they passed through a checkpoint to get onto their street. Pulling in front of an apartment complex they got out of the car and walked to the second floor.

            “Did they get more fruit in?” An old woman with a blue shawl with wiry gray hair smiled as she pet her cat in a plastic chair on the ledge. Carol and Kit Kat walked by and stopped a few feet away at their front door.

            “Some apples, would you like to come over and have one?” Kit Kat offered and Carol put a hand on the girl’s shoulder. “But mommy,” Kit Kat eyed Carol. “What would baby think?” Kit Kat patted Carol’s stomach.           

            “I really don’t-“ The old woman whispered.

            “No, come on in, I will cut one up.” Carol offered unlocking her door..

            “Times are hard.” The old woman continued as Carol opened her front door into the small apartment.

            “Exactly, that’s why we need to stick together Mrs. Newman.” Carol stepped inside and put the bag on the counter Kit Kat ran into the bathroom. “Wash your hands.” Carol shouted and started to pull the contents from the bag, four apples, two jugs of water, some cans of beans and a can of peaches.

            “There was an accident at the factories yesterday. I always worry about your Parker.” Mrs. Newman referred to the war machine factories where Parker had a job building space ships to defend Earth against future alien threats.

            “Me too, I can’t bare to read the paper anymore. People dying, us building an army for a pointless war. The aliens are gone.” Carol shook her head and pulled a knife from the counter and grabbed one of the apples to cut it.

            “But they may come back.” Mrs. Newman added sitting at the kitchen table. “More may come. If it wasn’t for the Xaxians and the technology they’ve given us.”

            “But what kind of life is this.” Carol finished cutting the apple into 10 thin slices. She slid them onto a plate and brought them over to the table.

            “We are stuck here because of aliens. Our planet is dying because of those ships. We need to be able to fight.” Mrs. Newman nodded. “Your Parker and my Jerry are doing a service to our world.”

            “Mommy, they turned off the water today. So I used hand sanitizer.” Kit Kat ran from the bathroom and climbed onto one of the chairs around the table.

            “Shit, I didn’t take a shower because I wanted to get to the store before the good stuff was gone.” Carol shook her head.

            “Let’s see what’s on the news.” Mrs. Newman desperately tried to change the conversation and moved over to the television turning it on. A patriotic theme played and images of soldiers training and people all over the world working together. The President of the United States came on the screen with a Cheshire Cat smile.

            “The world thanks you for helping the war effort.” He grinned on the televisions screen.”

            “What war?” Carol rolled her eyes and grabbed a slice biting into the crisp piece and savoring the taste she hadn’t had for a month.

     “We want you to know that the United States along with it’s world allies in the World Union are working hard to protect our boarders and our skies.” The president finished.

            “How did he get into office again? No one voted.” Carol stood up and noticed Kit Kat with a slice in each hand. “Slowly,” Carol pointed then excused herself to the bathroom.

            Entering the bathroom Carol lifted up her shirt and rubbed her large stomach. It couldn’t be human. It would be one of them. One of the aliens was inside her. She was helping bring to life the very thing she hated. But it was hers and she may have been insane, she may have had a death wish, but she was a mother and right now that was what mattered. A sharp pain shot through her. Carol grabbed her stomach as another pain shot through her.

            “It’s coming.” Carol whispered as she broke into a cold sweat. Carol stumbled out of the bathroom pain surging through her body. “It’s coming…” Carol whispered not getting the other two females' attention. Keeping her balance with a hand on the wall with beads of sweat forming on her forehead Carol gulped and looked at Kit Kat and Mrs. Newman, both of their eyes were on the television.

            The image was fuzzy but it was one that Carol recognized, dirty blond hair messy hair, soft brown eyes and a narrow face. It was Trevor Burkett.

            “You are being lied to by your Government. The president is an alien, a bad one. They have been trying to suppress my message but they can’t. I refuse to be silent. I refuse to be complacent. We are fighting a war not in the stars but here on our Earth. I encourage all of you to fight. Don’t be manipulated. You can tell they are not us by their blood. It is black.

            Kit Kat was engrossed by the screen a screech behind her broke her attention and she noticed Carol pale and gasping on the floor. Carol clasped her stomach and reached out for help to Kit Kat.

            “They are around us. They want us dead.” Trevor spoke on the television screen before it went black.