Stage 5: Invasion - Chapter 12: The Fall of Civilization

Stage 5: Invasion  - Chapter 12: The Fall of Civilization

            Harry held Trevor back. “Stop Harry, that’s my mom.” Trevor tried to get past the boy. The two were in the living room of Trevor’s house being faced down by an alien. The black eyes and serrated teeth did not fit the peaceful body of Trevor’s deceased mother.

            “No Trevor,” Harry said but Trevor pushed past running up to the alien and hugging her. Trevor was still in shock. The alien hugged Trevor back and opened it’s mouth speaking in Trevor’s mom’s voice.

            “Come sweetie, come with me.” The alien whispered squeezing Trevor tighter and tighter.

            “Stop!” Trevor gasped the air slowly escaping his lungs.” You’re hurting me. You’re hurting-“

            Harry started at Trevor but a gunshot rang out. Black and red blood splattered onto Harry and his mouth dropped as his eyes focused on the black oil dripping through the alien’s chest where it’s heart would be. The bullet grazed Trevor’s shoulder and blood seeped out of it the two, hugging collapsed on the floor. A second shot rang out and the alien’s head burst sending the black oil all over Trevor. Trevor started screaming.

            “Mommy, mommy!” Trevor shouted in shock.

            “Don’t move. You two are under arrest. You are in a restricted area.” An FBI agent shouted pointing a gun from the front door of the house.

            “Sir,” Harry began and the FBI agent turned the gun to Trevor. “Shut up, tell your friend to shut up.”

            Harry gulped and slowly turned to Trevor who was over the dead alien body still screaming. “Trevor, Trevor?” Harry heard the gun click ready to fire and gulped again focusing his attention to the barrel and the angry FBI agent.

            “Son,” The FBI aimed the gun and a shot went out as the alien who took the form of Trevor’s father pounced on him. The agent struggled with the alien firing one shot into the alien’s chest before the alien bit into the agents neck tearing a chunk of skin sending blood spraying around the entryway.

            Harry wasted no time getting to Trevor’s side and helping him up. “Trevor, come with me.”
            “No, no,” Trevor sobbed cradling the alien’s body. “Mommy, please wake up, please wake up.”

            “Trevor,” Harry patted the blood on the hole in the alien’s head and held up his black oily hands for Trevor to see. “This isn’t your mom. Your mom is dead. But we need to go. Now!”

            Trevor came to the realization looking at the black blood. The life he knew before he was abducted, he could never get back. This was real to him now. He looked as the alien stood up over a gored FBI agent smirking at them. Trevor grabbed Harry’s hand and ran towards the sliding glass door. Trevor slid it open and the two dashed into the back yard. Sliding the door shut the alien smashed to it then let out a crackling sound.

            As Harry and Trevor hit the asphalt of the street running down the street they heard more cackling. Random people first one, then two, then four, then seven, emerged from the houses their eyes black and teeth bared. They were the aliens that had been in hiding; they were going to kill them.

***

            In the pentagon conference room Angela finished giving her presentation and the heads of state had already began speaking about what to do next.

            “It sounds like we have only one option.” Chairman Freeman whispered. “We need to go to War. We’ve lost the others of the United Nations. For all we know they have infiltrated other countries. We need to bring down those ships.”

            “We haven’t heard from them yet, Chairman Freeman.”  The Speaker of the Senate stated from the television screen. “We don’t know what the alien’s demands are.”

            “It is pretty clear from the few reported attacks on our people and the attacks on our government leaders. It is clear they only want to destroy our world and purge our resources.” The Chairman slammed his clenched fist on the table.

            Agent Goodman looked from the chairman to the Speaker of the Senate who looked pensive with thought.

            “Agent Sanchez,” Chairman Freeman looked at the agent. “What other Intel do you have from these aliens? I can have the military blow them out of the sky in minutes. What do you think?”

            “Sir, we don’t have enough information.” Agent Sanchez responded.

            “Not enough information or not enough time.” The Speaker of the Senate whispered and she shook her head. “The Chairman is right.”

            “You can’t be serious,” Angela shouted and everyone turned to her. “We are going to start a nuclear war before we even know what their demands are.”
            “Do they need to tell us their demands Dr. Monroe.” The Chairman looked at the doctor. “Or do they just need to take it.”

***

            Trevor and Harry ran through a back yard as the aliens started to gather around them. One leapt into the air as a blue blast of energy vaporized the alien. The three other aliens were vaporized before they even reached them. Trevor and Harry looked at each other and the other aliens were hesitant to approach. One more of them was blasted by a blue ray of energy and the three ran quickly towards the two quickly being vaporized.

            Trevor looked up to the roof to see a tanned tall handsome man holding a giant alien metal gun. The man leapt from the roof in an almost super-human way and ran his hand through his dark black hair.

             Harry looked from Trevor to the man then back to Trevor. “Do you know this guy?”

            “Yeah,” Trevor smiled. “Harry, this is Kojak.” Trevor ran up to the man and hugged him. He felt the man’s warm skin and large arms wrap around him and he almost felt like it was a dream. “They said you were dead. They said I was the only surviving human from the crash.”

            “You were,” Kojak smirked and looked down at Trevor.

            “No you’re not.” Trevor looked into Kojak’s animal brown eyes as they flashed yellow. Trevor took a step back and started shaking.

            “No,” Kojak laughed. “No, I’m not. I’m something different. Something friendly.” Kojak smiled.

            “Listen buddy, I don’t know who you are but.” Harry started but suddenly, the sky lit up light daylight and the ground shook as a loud boom echoed off the housed.

            “Shit,” Kojak looked up. “The government launched the nukes at the ships. We need someplace safe, now! ” He shouted over the sound of explosions.