Chapter Sixty-eight - "Letting Go."

"I've Never Cried"

Chapter Sixty-eight

'Letting Go.'

Scene...

Back at the Hospital

Nick's POV

When I was allowed back into Selena's room, she sat completely upright, finally detached from every wire that once bound her to the bed. She almost looked like her old self again, despite her fair skin appearing much paler than I was used to. I watched her as she was listening to the only nurse left in the room, whom had given her a tray of food.

"Take your time," I heard the blonde-haired woman say. "And just press this button if you need anything else."

"Thank you," I heard Selena mumble back, her voice small. The woman passed me in the doorway then,  giving me a quick smile. As the door shut, Selena's eyes wandered over to me, and lingered as I approached her bed.

"Hey," I said. I pulled a chair up to the railing closest to her, and sat at her eye-level. "How are you feeling?"

She broke her gaze with me and looked down at the sandwich she fiddled with between her thumb and index finger. Nothing on her tray looked even the slightest bit appetizing, so I understood her hesitation.

"What are you doing, Nick?" She said, instantly breaking the tension.

"What?"

She lifted her eyes to me then, and in them, I only saw heartbreak

"I am the worst person for you." Her voice was breaking, as if she were about to cry again - like the last time I saw her. "I am, and have always been, nothing but destruction in your life . . . in your heart. So what are you doing? Here with me?"

"I couldn't lose you," I said, feeling my eyes stinging

"I couldn't lose you," I said, feeling my eyes stinging. She gritted her teeth, looking away.

"I yanked myself out of your life on purpose, Nick! You already lost me when I left."