Chapter Twenty-Seven - "Something, Nothing, Anything."

"I've Never Cried"

Chapter Twenty-seven

'Something, Nothing, Anything.'

Scene ...

Continuing

Joe's POV

You know that feeling you get in the pit of your stomach when you're about to go down a rollercoaster? Imagine that feeling, multiplied by a thousand, not only in your stomach, but all over your body. And instead of knowing that you'll be safe when it's all over, you know that you will probably plummet to your death.

Imagine being aware of everything that's going on in your body. Blinking, and being able to hear it. The sound of your blood rushing through your veins. Even your bones, as you move, giving off a sort of noise that only you can hear.

Imagine dehydration, multiplied by ten-thousand, and when you try to swallow, it feels like sand. All of the blood is rushing, trying to save your life, and you can hear and feel and taste every ounce of it. You can hear it giving up. You can hear yourself dying.

At the edge of a cliff, the wind finally blowing hard enough for you to tip.

And now you're plummeting.

That was how I was feeling, right at that moment.

She stood there, in the threshold between the kitchen and the living room, where she must've come in through the garage in the back. I took a deep breath, only to find a nervous lump in my throat. The blood rushed from my face when I saw hers, and I felt heavy with sadness; guilt.

Her face was covered in tears.

Tears.

I couldn't have imagined a feeling much worse than this.

Selena shifted behind me, approaching her slowly as I held Demi's gaze. She managed to force some words from her throat, "Dem, I didn't-- you weren't supposed to hear- ," Demi's head snapped toward Selena, causing her to stop moving toward her best friend.

"Don't," she growled. "I know why you did this shit." I'd never heard Demi use profanity. Still, I stared at her: the girl I was sure was no longer mine.

Selena paused, her mouth dropping in shock. She blinked a few times before tucking to herself in shame.

Demi turned her head back toward me, and when she caught my gaze, her entire face fell. She was broken. Genuinely broken. Her tears fell even faster. She brought her hands out infront of her, staring down at them, and curled them as if she had blood, slipping through her fingers.

 She brought her hands out infront of her, staring down at them, and curled them as if she had blood, slipping through her fingers

"How could you?" She said, slowly approaching me, as I was still staring at her. "How could the both of you?" She was a few inches away from me now, her tears overpowering her face.