Chapter Nineteen - "A Month"

"I've Never Cried"

Chapter Nineteen

'A Month'

Joe's POV

It wasn't until I'd returned home that day that I realized that I had completely forgotten about talking to Selena. However, I was still mending things with Demi, and Nick needed his space from his ex and the world, so I put off the idea of talking to Selena until I actually felt like the time was right.

-----

About a month later, Demi and I made plans to go to the museum, so I met up with her there, and found her sitting where I'd first met her: At the base of the old grand piano. 

She stood when she saw me

She stood when she saw me. My god, she was beautiful. Her highlighted hair was curled in spirals on her shoulders. She wore a black shirt and golden skirt, a long golden necklace wrapped around her neck. She was more gorgeous every time I saw her.

"Hey," She smiled as I approached her. I had a smirk on my face as I looked her up and down.

"Why are you so stunning?" I asked, smiling back. She came forward, wrapping her arms around my neck, and I kissed her quickly. She wiped my bottom lip with her thumb.

"You flatter me. Joseph." Clearing her throat, she looked at me, then sat back down, glancing at the room around her. "Man, this place could use a makeover." She directed her attention back to me, "So, why am I here?"

"Well," I started, scooting in beside her to face the keys, bumping her shoulder

"Well," I started, scooting in beside her to face the keys, bumping her shoulder. "Remember when I met you?"

She laughed. "Yeah. You scared the life out of me."

"The song you were playing that day? I was wondering-," Demi turned to me, her smile slowly falling.

"Wondering what?" She asked, her eyes on me. I continued,

"Maybe we could sing it together." I turned to her, this time meeting her saddened face. "What's wrong?"

She lifted her hand, tucking a curl behind her ear. "Joe, I'm not too sure about that." My eyebrows pulled themselves together.

"Why not?" Her eyelashes lifted, and I saw those big brown eyes.

"You don't know what that song means to me. That song holds history, memories, and not good ones. That song tells my story, and I'm not sure if I could sing it with just anyone." I became a little offended; the way I was when Nick first told me that he was too embarassed to tell me about Selena.

"But I'm not 'just anyone', Demi."

"Joe, I know that, but-,"

"I'm a person that cares about you and your history, and your memories. I care enough to want to hear your life story, and not be 'just anyone'." She seemed distraught.

"Please don't get mad at me."

"I'm not mad, Dem. I'm just a little offended that you think of me as 'just anyone'." She opened her mouth to say something, but I continued before she could. "Look, if you don't want to sing the song with me, fine. I don't care. Just know that to me, you're not 'just anyone.' Sometimes you're even more than everyone." I was standing now, towering over her as she remained at the base of the piano. She just looked at me, her frown deepening. She whispered,

"I didn't know I meant that much to you..,"

I sat back down beside her, running a palm down her arm. "And more," I said, wrapping an arm around her shoulders.

"Really?" I let her go and rested my fingertips on the black and white keys, beginning the first few chords of her song. The melody fell into place as she began to hum the first few bars.

"Really."

-----

The drive home was peaceful; one hand on the wheel, the other in Demi's hair. We chatted about mostly nothing, all the time I wondered what I did to deserve such an amazing human being. Just looking at Demi, I knew.

I was going to marry her.

We pulled in her lot and parked, and I looked at her for a long moment. "Do I get to call you my girlfriend yet?" I asked, watching her intently.

She bit her lip and fluttered her eyelashes; that blush.

"You're not just anyone to me, Joe." She said when she met my eyes again. "I shouldn't have said that." I rested my forehead against hers, my hand still in her hair.

"You still 'falling' in love with me?" I asked, looking deeply into her eyes. She held my gaze, biting her lip again, a small giggle inside of her. She reached up and pulled my chin close, so our lips were brushing against each other's as she spoke,

"Nope." She smiled, and I smiled back, knowing exactly what she meant.

"I love you, too," I said back. Demi pulled my face in forcefully, and I felt myself suddenly much closer to her, my hands on her waist. She worked her tongue into my mouth, and before we knew it, we were making out. She wrapped her arms around my neck, and I squeezed my eyes shut.

Then her phone went off.

She pulled from the kiss slowly, both of us panting, finding the chance to catch our breath. She reached into her pocket as I lifted myself from her, readjusting into my seat.

"Well that was..,"

"Wild." She finished for me, a laugh bubbling from her chest.

"Yeah."

I watched as she read what I then knew was a text message. She looked at me, smiled, then said,

"I'll see you later?" I nodded as she got out of the car, walking backwards halfway, before turning and walking into the house. 

I leaned my head back in my seat and smiled

I leaned my head back in my seat and smiled. As I began to pull out of the driveway, I looked at Demi's house one more time, and noticed Selena peering through the window, watching me back out. I stared at her for a second, narrowing my eyes at her, then turned, and pulled away.

My Girlfriend, Demi. Finally.

JJDL

*****Leave your comments!*****