Chapter Fifty-nine - "Love of my Life."

"I've Never Cried"

Chapter Fifty-nine

'Love of my Life.'

Scene...

Later that night

Joe's POV

I couldn't keep my mind off of my brother.

Every part of me wanted to be there for him in some way; I wanted to be able to just do something. But I knew that there was nothing I could do, and this knowledge was absolutely frustrating.

"You're gonna worry yourself sick," Demi muttered, her head leaned against my bare chest. The sound of her voice called my attention only for a moment before Nick was back on my mind. I took in a deep breath, my eyes glued to my bedroom ceiling.

"Who said I was worried?" I asked, half-heartedly.

"You wanna know something?" She asked, tilting her head up at me.

"Sure." Demi pushed herself up off of my chest and looked down at me; her hair forming a curtain around the both of us. 

"I've never told you this, and honestly, I'm not sure why," she put on a small sweet smile as she spoke. "But one of the reasons I fell in love with you so incredibly fast, was because of how passionately you cared for anyone that entered your life."

"It can be draining," I admitted, agreeing.

"But it's you," she whispered, bringing her hand to my jawline. "Do you remember our first fight?"

I couldn't help but release a chuckle at the memory that seemed so distant, but truly was not that long ago.

"How could I forget? You were the first girl to ever break my heart in less than two weeks-,"

"And we weren't even dating!" She finished, her laugh seeping into her words. "Joe, you worried about me before you could even call me yours." I narrowed my eyes at her, my hands behind my head against the sheets.

"What are you getting at, Dem?" When I asked this, Demi's eyes bore deeply into mine, filled with pure love and trust.

"I'm saying," she began, her thumb stroking my face, "that if you weren't worried for your brother, then I'd have good reason to be worried for you."

I couldn't believe, right then, the human being that had been so perfectly placed into my life. Demi was every part of me that I didn't see, every confirmation that I'd ever prayed for, every thought or feeling that I never got to express. I had never been more certain than in that very moment, that she was carved into perfection and purposely designated to be my life partner through the end of an unforgiving eternity.

 I had never been more certain than in that very moment, that she was carved into perfection and purposely designated to be my life partner through the end of an unforgiving eternity

"How do you do that?" I asked, my heart lifted in amazement. I kept my eyes on hers, astounded.

"Do what?"