Chapter Forty-five - "A Standstill Universe."

"I've Never Cried"

Chapter Forty-five

'A Standstill Universe.'

Scene...

Back at the Museum

Joe's POV

The moment we first entered the room, it was pitch black. Every light was turned off, every curtain was closed, and every nerve in my body was vibrating in anxiety. Demi's hand was still wrapped in mine, and I squeezed it tightly. It was my brief moment of realization that this was my last chance. I had used everything in me to create this moment for her, and if she didn't like it, I would have to let her go. I wasn't prepared to lose her for good. 

Not yet.

"Joe?" She asked, noticing my nervousness. "What am I supposed to be looking at?"

I could hear the smile on her face; she was obviously much more excited than I'd anticipated, and my anxiety quickly lifted. 

"This." I switched on the lights in the room, and every inkling of hard work that I'd put into it immediately came into our vision. "Happy Birthday."

I watched her expression carefully, hoping desperately that she liked it

I watched her expression carefully, hoping desperately that she liked it. She was silent at first, her eyes adjusting to the new brightness around her.

Then, finally, a smile.

And not just any smile. A happy, excited, genuine smile.

"Oh my god," she said as she began to stroll around the room

"Oh my god," she said as she began to stroll around the room. I watched her every movement, one corner of my mouth pulled upward. Her hands floated across the top of the grand piano, over the buckets of tambourines and maracas, across the strings of the guitars that hung upon the walls. Her eyes followed the floor beneath her, her feet gliding across the large black treble clef painted on the wooden surface. Then her gaze fell upon the mural.

"Oh wow," she whispered. She placed her palm over the painting of herself, and I approached her, standing immediately beside her so I could see her face.