The First Dream

I was in a room. Simple, a black box room with a chair, no door, no window, no vent, and a red light. The walls were featureless  and so was the floor but for a questionable splash of red in a corner. Just me, a light, and a chair, and that questionable splash of red. A deep voice spoke, reverberating around the space. It was like an avalanche, loud, commanding, but soothing like you were perfectly ok with giving into its power. 

"I will awaken and you cannot escape me forever." The finite sound of a snap of fingers reaches my ears and the light shatters. 

"Who are you?" I cry into the darkness, eyes widening. I've hated the dark for as long as I can remember. That space under the bed, that emptiness at the bottom  of a closet, all the darkness seems foreboding. Now it swallows me.

"You know who I am. You may not want to know. You want to forget me, say I'm nothing more than a child's dream. But I won't let that happen. You will always know me and what I have done. You will play my games no matter how much I have to break you. You will surrender."

As strange as it may seem, the voice brought  a feeling of familiarity. Story books, running my fingers over the inked Standard Galactic Alphabet. Stories...I was not liking this. My emotions have taken residence in unfamiliarity, comfort, fear, and uncertainty. I didn't know where I was but a dark room in the center of these four dark walls. I didn't know why I was here. All I knew was that I could not show him my fear. That would be surrendering, that would be submission. I am Lily Torchwood and I will not bend so easily.

"You think you are strong compared to me? You think I am a fool? I know how scared you are. Tell me: Where is the Sword?" The voice hisses and revolved around me, almost dropping to a plotting whisper. "The Sword, my sword. How I plead and whisper to them all and to them all the end draws nearer. Where is it?"

"I don't know! How should I?"

"Yes you do. I know you do. And you're not leaving until you tell me."

"I don't know."

The voice chuckles. "You're in the school's hospital wing right now. You've been out for 2 days."

"How are you doing this?" I said. My voice was shaking now, collapsing at the doors to school only felt like an hour ago- but days have passed? He was right. He can break me but i have no idea what he is talking about.

"You really don't know do you? Well then Lily Torchwood, it should please you to know that you are in a very very important game. He never told you? He never told you what you can become? The power you could possess, for good or evil. Well I guess he loves his games too. Knight to H3. Your move Notch. Your Queen is at risk of being taken."