[24]

_________________________________

Axel had never felt more alone until now. The sound of everyone gathered around the truck and talking about what their next move was going to be had made his mind go into a frenzy.

8 months.

It had been around 8 months, calculated by Loris pregnancy, that Axel had last seen April. 8 months to which Axel had realised that he had never even uttered those 3 words to the girl.

Those 3 words that the girl told him. Accident or not.

But what Axel knew was that he loved the girl. And even though he really wanted to believe that April was alive, he knew deep down he couldn't. Axel was a realist, and he believed that was the girl was dead.

And that was a thought that tore him up in the inside and made him become the shell of the monster he was now today.

Sure he had his sisters and father that he swore to protect, that was his only reason for staying alive for so long to only just survive, to protect his family.

But nothing else didn't matter. No one else
mattered. Axel was angry. He was beyond angry with the rest of the group and himself.

When April didn't come back, both himself and Rick went back to go look for the girl and Sage. It took 5 days. 5 days of trying to find them and Axel was prepared to stay longer to search for them however Rick stopped him.

Coupled with the statement from Rick that they couldn't search for them anymore as he needed to think of Carl and his pregnant wife and the fact that Axel needed to focus on his sisters and father, had made Axel take his anger out on Rick.

Telling the father that he didn't care about April and was so ready to quickly abandon his daughter had erupted into a fight between himself and Rick. Too which Glenn, Daryl and T-Dog had to pull them off each other.

However it was only after Hershel had a long talk with his son that made Axel finally stop searching and joined the group on their now 8 month long run.

With barely any food and the possibility of dying, had made everyone go slightly over the edge, especially Axel. Axel was mad at the group for giving up on finding April and Sage so quickly, even Carol.

Noticing that Axel had distanced himself from the group yet again, Rick sighs before he goes over to him with a solemn expression.

"We really could use your help." Rick tells him once he reaches Axel, to which Axel looks back at the man with a roll of his eyes.

"You don't need my help Rick."

"We do. Axel both you and I know you're the best. It's the survival of the fittest now." Rick comments before Axel turns around with a scowl.