Epilogue

I opened my eyes slowly, already dreading the day to come. I groaned and rolled over, only hitting a small lump by accident. I looked over to see Zara Rose looking back at me. I gave her a tired smile. "And why are you sleeping in daddy's bed?" She shrugged and yawned. "You seemed like you had a bad dream so I did what you did if I had one: I would sleep with you until you were okay. But I fell asleep." I sighed and brought her to my chest.

Zara Rose was a smart girl. Even though she's only eight, she's the best daughter in the world and the smartest. But she was right about the bad dream. I didn't even get that much sleep beforehand. "Daddy? Can I tell you something?" I nodded as she snuggled into my chest. "I miss dad." She stated. I sighed again and nodded. Zara Rose was only three when Louis committed suicide. But she still loved him, even from the lack of memories. 

"I do too, sweetie." She gave me a sad look and tried to hug me tighter, even though she was smaller than me. She huffed. I feel like this year of Louis' anniversary was different. Maybe because Zara Rose was starting to understand it more. She must have been so confused before. She might even be scarred. She's the one that found him. She found him lifeless on the bathroom floor with a bottle of his depression pills. It scared me when I heard her yelling for me to 'come look at dad'. I still wear the wedding ring and I'm giving Zara Rose Louis' when she's older. 

"Why do you think he did it, daddy? Is it my fault?" My eyes widened and I shook my head. "No, no. No, sweatheart. It was never your fault. He loved you so much and he always will. Forever." I didn't want to answer the first question. I knew why he did it. His depression got to him basically. In the note he gave me said that he just didn't feel like he belonged in the world. 

I felt tears tracking down my cheek, feeling a small hand wipe them away. "Don't cry, daddy. I know you miss him. Let's get up and make french toast. Then we can go get Grandma Jay, Auntie Lottie, Auntie Fizzy, Auntie Phoebe, and Auntie Daisy. She said slowly so her slur didn't mess up what she said. I found it cute and adorable for her image. She had dark, brown hair and hazel eyes. She could be the best daughter and I wouldn't ask for better.

"That sounds like a nice idea, Zara." She smiled at me and kissed my cheek before climbing out of bed clumsily. I follower her in suit as she marched to the kitchen. "Zara?" She turned her head to look at me. "Yes, daddy?" 

"Do you... do you remember anything about dad?" She thought for a moment and nodded. "I think I remember when you both got married... I- wasn't I the flower girl?" She said with a lisp. I smiled at the memory but felt a pain through my chest along with it. "Y-yes, you were. And a very pretty one." She smiled up at me and threw her arms up in the air, beckoning me to pick her up. I bent down and picked her up from under her arms and placed her around my hip. 

I sighed and kissed her cheek. "Zara, could we make french toast another day? Daddy's not up for it." She gave me a smile and nodded. "Sure, daddy. I know you're going to be sad the whole day so don't try to act happy with me. It's a day to think about you and dad; not me." She said slowly. I felt tears spread down my face. I never expected that to come out of her mouth. 

She wrapped her arms around my neck and hugged me tight. I buried my head into her small shoulder as more tears tracked onto her bright, green night shirt. I felt so weak and useless for crying to my eight year old daughter's shoulder when I'm the one to protect and comfort her, not the other way around. "It's okay, daddy," She mumbled into my hair, "Dad loves you." I nodded as she continued to hug me and I continued to cry in the middle of the kitchen.

Once my sobbing came to a stop, I pulled away from her shoulder and used one hand to wipe away the tear stains on my flushed cheeks. "Are you okay?" She asked me, looking at me with concerned blue and brown eyes. I nodded and gave a sniffle, "Y-yea, sweetie," I smiled, "As long as I have you, I'll be fine." She gave me a somewhat toothless grin and giggled. "Good. Because I'm amazing, too!" I smiled at her and put her back on the ground.