Eight

The ants stepped him backwards, away from the still twitching but dead body of his boss.

"You are sickened by the violence," said the voice in his head, the tone one of surprise. "Yet it is no more than your kind do to us every day. Humans are such hypocritical creatures."

What now? Everyone is dead. What do you do now?

"We are a new development, perhaps even a whole new species of Formicidae. We are many and our queens are giving birth even as we speak. We have a responsibility to reach other colonies, to fertilise, to spread our mutation, our evolution. You will help us to move on from here, to begin our propagation. You will be our host."

Digman was stunned but intrigued. Why not? What did he have worth staying around here for now?

"We are no longer just on you, we are in you! We are you and you are us. We are one, Digman Marley."

With that the ants on his skin swarmed away, disappearing into cracks, holes, edges of doorways until there was no ant to be seen anywhere.

But Digman could still feel them, inside him, under his skin, perhaps even in his blood, his brain. He didn't understand, but he knew they were there and that they could, at any time, take control of his body. It was a strange, discomforting feeling but one he suspected he would grow to not only endure, but to enjoy. He felt closer to the ants than he did to most humans. He doubted it would ever make sense. It just was.

"You ok Digman?" asked Eric. "That was some weird shit! Made Phase IV look like nothing!"

Strangely, Digman understood Eric's reference, although he had never heard of the film himself. He laughed. Who knew the ants had an interest in cinema?

Eric studied him curiously for a moment, unsure about the laughter. Digman never laughed at his film references. There was definitely something different about his colleague. It didn't take him long, however, to decide it wasn't important. There was only one thing he saw as important at that particular moment.

"Let's get out of here," he said. "I don't want to be around when someone finds all the bodies!"

Digman nodded and followed as Eric hurried down the slope towards the fence and the gap they had entered by. He almost stumbled, his legs feeling strange under his own control again. There was a lot he would have to get used to. He was no longer quite human, but then he could hardly see himself as some giant ant either.

As they wriggled back under the fence and hurried down the lane to the van, Digman smiled, his eyes settling on the van logo. It was appropriate and strangely satisfying.

More than ever he was, now, the Antman.