Chapter 17 - Cornered

Avai pov:

"She's really beautiful. Have you always had her around?" I smiled at Eum Ja as he held a pure white cat in his arms.

"She comes whenever she feels like it. I would assume that she lives somewhere in palace." He responded without looking at me.

I smiled, nodding my head with a hum in acknowledgement. I looked back at the cat and continued to scratch her on her neck. She let out occasional purrs in satisfaction to whatever Eum Ja and I were doing. In fact, she was seated comfortably in his arms and had her eyes closed, ready to fall into blissful sleep.

I continued to watch her and my thoughts floated off. I didn't think about anything in particular but many things kept going through my head. Most of my thoughts weren't linked to each other either....they were scattered.

I thought about home, how I first came here, my favorite food, what I saw myself as an architect ten years down the line, how I managed to live in the company of a bunch of murderers, where I should plan my yearly vacation to with my family, how I was getting more comfortable than necessary around Eum Ja....wow, my thoughts were really scattered today.

I sighed inaudibly, my eyes getting half lidded in my daze. "Say, Eum Ja sunbae?"

"Yes?" His voice was deep yet soft. It made goosebumps erupt on my skin, though I didn't let myself become overly aware of it.

"If by any chance, I....."

"Aak ja!" I blinked, snapping out of my moment of being in la-la land to look up at Gi Won sshi. He was standing just about five feet away from where Eum Ja and I were seated on the grass.

My heart skipped a beat when I realized that I was so lost in thought and I was about to ask Eum Ja what I had told myself I would never even hint to anyone. I almost asked him what he would say if I told him that I liked him....not as a friend but as something more. If Gi Won sshi hadn't broken me from my thoughts, I'm sure I would have really asked him the questions that had been nagging me in my subconscious.

I bit my bottom lip and looked at the grass beside me, mentally thanking the heavens that I had been stopped before it was too late. Closing my eyes for a moment and letting out a deep breath through my nose, I looked up to acknowledge Gi Won sshi's calling.

I managed a half hearted smile at him. "Good afternoon, Gi Won sshi. Is there something I can do for you?"

"Good afternoon, Aak ja. I would like it if you would come with me. There are some people who have requested to see you." He gave a respectful bow with his head.

Eum Ja and I stood up and we watched him curiously. He just said that I had guests, didn't he? Why would I have guests? And even if someone did request a meeting with me, I doubt Gi Cheol sshi would allow that. Were these people allies of Gi Cheol sshi? That's highly possible....

"People who want to see me? Who are they and what do they want with me?" I asked a little warily while narrowing my eyes at Gi Won sshi.

"Do not worry, Aak ja. They are not people you need to be concerned about. They are just a bunch of old people who wanted to ask your opinion on something." He said nonchalantly.

It only made me feel anxious though. Someone wanted my opinion on something and this was probably a way to get me stuck in some trouble. I hadn't done anything against Gi Cheol sshi all this time so it wasn't possible that he would set me up, right? Then again, it is a pretty strong, dangerous and manipulative person in consideration here....

I pressed my lips into a thin line. Might as well just meet these people and see what they wanted to ask me. I don't think I could get out of this situation even if I wanted to.