Chapter 12 - Subdued

This chapter is dedicated to Rangami-chan! Happy reading! :)

~~~~~~~~

Avani pov:

Another beautiful day for me to be locked up in this room. The only thing that let me look at the beauty of nature was the grilled window that opened up to a courtyard.

Joy.

I sighed for the millionth time since morning. Breakfast was brought to me room and I ate alone. Gi Cheol sshi was busy, I heard, with matters concerning the governance of Goryeo. I don't know where his siblings were but I guessed that they wouldn't care to come and have any small talk with me anyway. So I was left here in this room, locked up rather, with absolutely nothing to do.

I didn't feel like reading and I had decided not to do anything that could give away hints of the modern world. So I was literally jobless and bored out of my brains.

A few more minutes passed and I twitched hearing the lock of the room open and someone step inside. I didn't acknowledge them and just sat staring out of the window as I had been doing till now.

"You must be bored being locked up in this room, Aak ja."

I turned around to see Prince Deok Heung standing there with his arms behind his back. He was smiling but the smugness of his smile annoyed me.

Nonetheless, I stood up, returning the smile as I faced him. "Prince Deok Heung, good morning. Lovely day, isn't it?"

My words had sarcasm literally dripping off them. He obviously caught on and it made him laugh. He shook his head and stepped closer to me with two attendants following him into the room. They each carried a box in their hands. Upon a nod from Prince Deok Heung, they placed the boxes on the table before giving a bow and walking out of the room.

"I had some new clothes bought for you to wear. I hope they are to your liking."

I narrowed my eyes just a bit but kept my smile in place. He had bought me clothes? For what joy? What was he planning?

"I'm quite fine with the clothes I have now, thank you."

"That may be. But I am giving you a chance to experience royalty. These clothes have been made with the finest fabric available in Yuan. I would be very happy if you accept them and wear them." He motioned over the boxes with his hand.

What a waste of money....finest fabric from China he says. He actually had someone buy fancy clothes for me just so he could impress me and get me on his side? If he thought I was going to fall for that trick, he was seriously mistaken.

I didn't say anything though. I walked to the boxes and opened the lids. I lifted one of the dresses out first to look at it. I have to say, it was a very beautifully designed dress. It was made of the softest satin I had ever felt before with intricate embroidery stitched on the edges. But it was a two layered traditional dress which I did not want to wear, especially since this suspicious person was being overly friendly with me.

I put the dress back into the box and closed the lid. Looking up at Prince Deok Heung, I just smiled. "As much as I appreciate you for buying me such beautiful clothes, I have to decline the offer. Royalty and fancy clothes aren't really my style."

"Then shall I have these clothes exchanged for the type that you would be comfortable with? I'm sure I can...."

"I'm fine, really. You don't need to do something unnecessary like this, okay?" I cut him off.

He was not happy about my refusal and he lost his smile. Furrowing his brows to show his disapproval, he walked closer to me.

"Aak ja, it is not very polite to refuse a gift from a man, especially when he is a Prince. And I am being so generous to you." He narrowed his eyes at me and I was starting to feel a little uneasy about the way he was walking closer and closer to me.