Chapter Nine-Dave: Sounding Board

With work being so busy I didn't always have a lot of time to visit with Mum, but I tried to get here at least once a week.

"Mum, where are you?" I called out down the hallway.

"David is that you? I am in the back room." I always laughed when she said that, who else would have unlocked the door and wandered in saying 'Mum!"?

When I got down there, I was instantly reminded that Christmas was only three weeks away. Where had the year gone? Mum had laid out small gifts all wrapped in foil wrap and tinsel. Some in plain wrap with curling ribbon. Was it any wonder that I loved Christmas and all the frills. I grew up in a house crazy about Christmas celebrations.

Mum came straight over reaching her small frame up to grip me in a tight hug and a kiss. I loved her enthusiasm and admired her generosity. She started taking me through who the various baskets and boxes were for. Since Dad had passed away Mum had thrown herself into various activities around the place. The local church had adopted her as their 'grandma' to their pre school music programme.

She was telling me about some of the mums, their stories, why she felt each of the 'precious young ladies', her words, needed a small something as well as the children. When she had wrapped the final one she took me through to the kitchenette. I saw that the sliding door had come off it's runners again so I fixed that while Mum made a hot drink.

"Thank you for looking at that door." she sighed. "I've got a little something for my neighbours grand daughter wrapped up as well. She is such a pretty little thing. Just turned four and the world is such an adventure for her." Mum paused for breath.

She had always been super active and it was Mum that had taken me along to athletics when I was young. I now still ran a respectable marathon but prefered the half marathon and did a better average time over that distance. I think Mum even still played tennis for senior ladies.

I had left school young to join the army. It had never been a popular decision with Mum or Dad but they had signed the papers, but when I had decided retrain, just over ten years ago, I know they were both relieved.

"Mum," I had heard the longing in her voice,"I know. Sorry I haven't given you grand kids yet. " My mind turned to Jessie and Tom and I wondered what it would be like if. .. cutting off that line of thought, I just couldn't go there. I smiled a bit sappy, well not yet anyway.

"Son I am glad 'that woman' couldn't conceive. It would have been terrible having children moved from pillar to post." I smiled, that was Mums protest. She refused to say my ex-wife, Ayesha's name since her affair destroyed our marriage. Although to be fair it probably wouldn't have taken much.

For the two years we were married I was out of the country for about eighteen months. Not ideal. "Can I ask you something? "

"Oh, David please don't tell me you're off overseas for Christmas, I know there's only two of us and a few friends I invite but I do look forward to it. You've already been away twice this year. "

Both times I had gone to the Philippines. The first time was still at clearing rubble stage after the massive earthquake. By the time the next school holidays rolled round Gordon Richard, head of Red Cross, had asked if I could take charge of an earthmoving and road building crew and direct their progress through a portion of the city.

Infrastructure rebuild was critical for movement of people and supplies. I made time to head north and visit with Charlie and his sister, the young boy I'd met on my first trip and was able to help them out with some essential supplies for their small one bedroom unit in tempoarary accommodation.

I shook my head, "No Mum, there is a bit of staff and classroom restructuring happening at school next year so I need to be around and do some work over christmas. But, ah I wanted to ask you, Mum, what do you think you need, you know ...to make things work. In a relationship I mean. And hell, don't tell me communication because I don't buy it."

She laughed, "Magic," she uttered simply. "I have had a few years to think on it and watch people. I hear some of the young people today call it chemistry. But I have always thought if people are asking themselves if is right, then what they've got won't survive the rigors of life."

"Dave? Dave?" Mum had carried on talking to me but I had drifted off, she was trying to get my attention. After a moment of pause Mum smiled knowingly, patted my hand, before heading to the sink with our cups. Mothers! I thought shaking my head.

"Mum, you don't know what you think you know. " Realising that for an English teacher that made very little sense.

"You'll tell me when you're ready. " She was clearly very happy, and I didn't mind giving her a little hope at least. I was hoping to mend things with Susie over this Christmas, New Year time. I wanted to get her attention as a man and not just a colleague or employer.

"Uh well I better get off. If that door comes off again give me a ring. I think I need to replace the rollers on it. " A few hours later I had enjoyed a slow lunch at home, changed into a pair of knee length cargo shorts, and a fitted sports tee.

It was hot and the glare of the sun meant I reached for my sun glasses. I decided I needed to call round and see Susie. I had some questions for her. The thought of seeing her on a Saturday afternoon like this was good incentive to sort the kitchen and head out quickly. I grabbed a pack of 'trumpet' waffle cone ice-creams from the supermarket and pulled up outside their house.

I didn't know what kind of reception I'd receive, but I was keen to see Susie. The magic Mum talked about, was something we definitely had whether Susie acknowledged it or not. I smiled more than willing to start my summer project.

#####

How do you think Susie will react to Dave showing up. It has been several months with them avoiding each other in a large school, and how has Susie been coping?

I hope that answers some more of your questions about Dave.

Susies POV next. ...... Comment... comment..... vote. vote?