Chapter Thirteen- Schools Out

The final week of school had flown by. I had so enjoyed wearing my own graduation cap and gown, as all the staff had, for the senior prize giving. Dave had asked me if I would award the year 12 students excellence awards.

He must have known that Jessie's name was on the list. I was so pleased to have the honor of giving it to her, and grateful yet again to Dave.  I wondered if he realised how much we appreciated all that he had done for us.

I had been thinking for some time about my finances for next year. I really didn't know how I would manage and so I had visited the local 'all comers' school, that would be pleased to accept the childrens registration even if it wasn't until late January.

I was quite upset to think that all Cam and I had hoped for, may not happen. We had been really committed to sending the children to the very best, even if it was a sacrifice, but I hoped he would understand if the sacrifice for me right now was just too great.The children would miss their friends, but I knew they would be philosophical about it, and support me in any way they could, I was really lucky to have such great kids.

But our car had been playing up for sometime, and I knew with the next break down I would probably have to replace it. With technology progressing the way it had I would need to replace one or both the children's computers, if not the home one too.  My list of financial commitments seemed to be mounting up.

So even though I hadn't really spoken to Dave since Saturday night I had to ask him at school today about the scholarships and see if the children had qualified for anything next year.

When I got the chance he had seemed distracted and but said everything was fine, it was taken care of, he had asked if we could we talk about it later, and then we arranged that he would collect me at 7.30 to head out to the end if year school function.

I was really excited about it. Firstly because it was Dave and.... and well a date with him was so, so up there! secondly because I hadn't been out for so long, much less a first date, which had been a long sixteen years ago .

My friend Cassie had come over to help and together with Jessie,  got me ready. My hair was a little past my shoulders and it was sitting in ringlet curls, make up done, now just to choose the dress and shoes.

"I really think it would be fun if you put the red stillettos on with the black dress," Jessie said. I would normally go with her suggestion, but it just seemed too predicatable.

I must have looked uncertain and didn't move to get changed because Cassie stepped in. "Well what would you like, something a bit less conservative? Bit eye catching for a certain hot date?"

I could feel my face grow red with embarrassment as Jennie and Cass laughed at my expense. I hadn't really left the children alone at night much, and we usually hung out together when they weren't out with friends, so Cassie was going to be staying over while Max held the fort at home with their little girl, Elsie. Tom had the job of getting food in and choosing the first movie.

Cassie picked up a suit bag off the bed and said." Right, lets take a look, I bought a few choices. None of them are this season, sorry. It has been awhile since I have needed an evening dress. But there are some lovely things here for you to look at."

"Wow, thanks for this Cassie. I didn't know what I would wear. What do you think Jessie?"

We each pulled out the dresses. Some long, some short. It was the colours that caught my eye. There were sky blues, bright green taffeta, and then there was a soft brown, almost suede colour. When I pulled it out Cassie sighed. "I wore that one night not long after I had met Max. It is gorgeous to wear, so comfortable. Oh.... yes... you would love that so much... Just go try it on. But be careful of your hair," she warned.