Chapter twenty six - Being the bad guy

Keenan’s POV

A week later...

After Rory got discharged from the hospital, I helped take him home, trying to make sure he would be safe and okay in my absence.

“For the last time, Keenan, I’ll be fine.” Rory tells me frankly, as I follow him into the house, “you are worse than a worrisome girlfriend. Hope you know.” He tells me grumpily. “You’ve done enough, you need rest.”

I roll my eyes, “Coming from someone who was making wedding preparation on the hospital bed, I’d gladly take the advice.” I sarcastically remark with a snort.

“Well, that was different.” Rory argues and I raise a brow at him, “I did that because I was and I am still eager to get married and settle down and make a family with Taylor and Reign, but you need to go home and spend the night with your wife.”

Hearing Rory refers to Vary as my wife brings alive a feeling I once thought I lost, which is the ability to own someone or something. With Vary, I always feel like I’m in control and even though I hated the way she had given herself to me without fear of being hurt, I admit it felt overwhelming and sweet.

I may never admit it to her face, but she is one hell of a woman, stubborn, self-willed, patient and tries to always see the good in me no matter what I’d done to her. Many a time I’d expected her to snap or yell, but I only got those reactions a few times, and those are still the reason I can’t get her out of my head. I love the way she trusted me those times to take care of her and although I did a very shitty job with taking care of her; I love the way she would always let herself go in my hands.

She was never my type, and it’s not just about the colour of her skin... Maybe it was thirty per cent of the reason I never consider it, but she isn’t the type that would get my attention, but it’s a wonder because she has. Those beautiful brown eyes that always look at me like they are staring into my dark soul, those full lips that she always seems to chew on and her unique self that makes me wonder what I did to deserve and or what it was she even saw in me.

Well, I know whatever it is she saw, it’s gone by now. After what I told her at the hospital, she’d left without a word and hasn’t returned or called, not that I blame her, I don’t expect her to after everything I did... Or do I?

I snap out of my thoughts and shake my head, “Well, that’s not happening.”

Rory’s brows rise and he stares at me, “Don’t tell me you don’t miss her.”

Do I miss her? Maybe I do a little... Or maybe a lot. I miss the taste of her lips on mine; I miss the softness of her skin against mine, and I miss her voice; I miss her accent, which at first was annoying, but living a week without them has made me realise just how amazing it was to my ears. That’s the reason I haven’t gone home. I can’t go home because I know that she’s not there.

“Rory,” I differ, but he doesn’t follow.

“‘Cause I know you miss her.” He pats my shoulder. “It’s okay to be sceptical. I was with Taylor too, but in the end, she is the one I want to spend the rest of my life with”

“I’m not sceptical, Rory, I kissed Phoebe,” I reveal, making the reason I can’t go back to Vary.

He sighs and goes silent for a while, then he looks up at me to ask, “Did you like it?”

My mouth pauses as I reason back to the kiss I had with Phoebe and the origin of the catastrophe that has happened in my and Phoebe’s love life ever since. The kiss was sweet and fevered, and it brought back memories of the past we both shared many years ago. But I didn’t want those memories anymore, and I regretted going further because I paid physically and emotionally. Physically because Jack’s rage overtook him and my rib and face bore the pain and emotionally because out of the pain, I caused Vary to hate me with my hurtful words.