Cinderella Man Chapter 19

Start from the beginning

Her facial expression doesn't change.

"Promises get broken all the time Emily, life isn't fair... It's about time you realise this." That's it, that's all she has to say!

I'm so angry I can feel myself shaking.

"I know life isn't fair mother! I knew this the minute you told me I had to marry before the country would accept me! But you had control over this, you made this unfair... Why promise something if you can't keep it! Why tell me one thing and then do something completely different!?"

This time her facial expression changes, she can hear the anger in my voice.

"This is about that boy isn't it? The one I don't approve of. Oh, get over it Emily, he's not fit for this country! You have the perfect man willing to marry you, be proud of this. You'll be happy with James, he'll look after you. That's something that boy could never do!" She's angry now too.

"It was my choice, I got to pick my husband. I chose James in the end, the one you wanted me to. It was your choice on when I made my announcement, which was suppose to be tomorrow. All I asked was to give me the last day I had to come to terms with my decision, that's all I asked for. Was it really too much to just give me that?!" I ask exasperated.

My mother stares me in eyes, her look empty and emotionless.

"It's time to go get changed, your first interviews at noon."

I stare at my mother in disbelief. She really doesn't care about me.

"No."

Her look hardens. "No?" She asks in anger.

"No. My statement will not be made until tomorrow, when it was supposed to be made. Until then, I'm going out," I smile at my mother, before turning around and making my across the living room.

"You will make your statement today Emily! The press are waiting for you." I can hear the pure anger radiating off her voice, I've never heard her this angry.

"Well, they'll have to wait until tomorrow then."

And with that, I walk out of the room.

Sam's POV

I finish singing the last note in the recording studio, putting an end to my first recorded song. I have a single! I never thought anything like this would ever happen to me.

"I'm proud of you Sam, that's the faster recording we've ever had. You're single will be released soon and then shortly after that, your new album! Now you say you already have the rest of the songs written, I can't wait to hear the rest of them!" Derek smiles at me, it's the biggest smile I've ever seen Derek wear. It seems an artist finishing a single makes him extremely happy.

"Thank you sir. Yes, I have the rest of my album, I had quite a lot of time to get the songs written," I smile at him.

"I can see that. Well it's impressive Sam, I've never seen someone be this prepared before. Now the only thing we need to discuss is the album's name, any ideas?"

"Yeah, I have the album's name sorted."

I walk towards the park, ready to see Emily. Today I tell her about my record label.

I'm extremely aware that tomorrow's the deadline, that tomorrow the world and I will know who Emily is marrying. I don't think I'm ready to know. I want to live my life in denial, I want to believe that she doesn't have to marry. I'm not ready to face her choice.

The streets seem busier than usual, more alive. London is buzzing.

I hear little bits of conversation as I walk by.

"I wonder what designer she'll wear?"

"I wonder where the ceremony will be held?"

"Who will be there, I bet it's going to be a star studded event!"

"James and Emily will be so happy together."

The last one catches me off guard.

James and Emily?! Emily and James?!

Please tell me it's not my Emily, her announcement wasn't meant to be made yet!

I run to the closest news agent, letting my eyes roam over all the magazines.

"Princess Emily and James Logan to marry!"

"Royal engagement!"

"Royal wedding due happen later this year!"

No, it's happening. Her choice has been made, her fiancée has been announced.

James Logan, the man she's marrying. The man I wish I was, the man who gets to spend the rest of his life with her.

I can't help the feeling of pure jealousy that flows through me.

I wish it was me.