Chapter 16: Like Stars

Y/n slowly regained her freedom after going back to the Omega Timeline, her soul was obviously healed. Currently she was taking a break in Outertale after a day of universe hopping with Ink. He wasn't with her. 

She watched, cross legged as the swirling stars and galactic space dust colored the vast space. The stars twinkled quietly, millions of them making patterns in the sky. Such a beautiful sight when accompanied with silence.

"WhAt ArE yOu DoInG hErE?" Y/n had already familiarized herself with that voice. It brought fear into the pit of her stomach. In one swift motion she was on her feet and her brush drawn. "CaLm DoWn, I oBvIoUsLy CaN't KiLl YoU." He glitched, coming closer. The air around him seemed to become darker and electric blue strings appeared.

He made no threatening moves, yet Y/n didn't relax. Her eyes followed every move he made as Error walked closer to the edge, stopping there. He stood only a few feet from her, Y/n could defeat him easily. Yet he probably was prepared for any signs of aggression and was ready to block any attacks. So she did something she thought he wouldn't expect.

She struck up a conversation.

"Why...?" She questioned, looking down at her hands grasping her brush. Error watched her warily, unsure why she was speaking. He was always attacked before questioned. It's not like people would listen to him anyways.

"WhY wHaT?" He asked in almost an emotionless tone. No care in the world.

"Why are you destroying universes?" So many had suffered at the hands of Error, including herself. There had to be a reason, no one would hurt for the fun of it. What kind of suffering had Error gone through to do this?

There was a long painful silence as neither spoke. She didn't want to press him and he apparently didn't want to answer. The space swirled around them as if nothing was happening. The tension in Y/n's muscles became painful. She forced herself to relax to ease the ache.

"UniVeRsEs are liKe sTaRs..." Error glitched, making her jump at his sudden words. "If TheY get TOO clOse, TheY'll colLide anD DESTROY EVERYTHING. I knoW the MultIverSe is CROWDED, so some uniVerseS haVe to GO."

Universes colliding and destroying everything? Then what was the Omega Timeline? It was a universe where others could coexist without any problems. Did Error know this?

"So... say the universes met, everything would be destroyed?" At her question the tension seemed to grow awkward. Error glanced at her out the corner of his red eye sockets.

"Um, YeS?" He hesitated, the uncertainty in his voice spurring Y/n on.

"Then what about-"

"Y/n get away!" Ink's voice cut her off. He had emerged behind them from a paint portal, coming to check on Y/n. At the sight of Error, Ink attacked. For once Error had been caught off guard. He didn't have enough time to react.

"Ink no!" Y/n quickly called up a barrier, blocking Ink's attack from hurting Error. Ink's look of hatred changed to shock. "Don't hurt him!" Y/n cried, Error seemed just as shocked as Ink.

"Y/n, what are you doing? Why are you...?" Ink stared at her, searching for a reason.

"I... I've been talking with Error. I think there's been a big misunderstanding. He believes that if the alternate universes come together it would be catastrophic." Her hands shook as she spoke. The bristles of her brush quivered. Ink gazed at her sadly. The air was heavy with the tension between the three of them. All of the Multiverse seemed to ponder what would happen next.

"If ThE MulTivErsE is CroWdEd lIKe it IS, EVERYTHING wiLL END." Error said sternly, so sure of his idea of apocalypse. Ink and Y/n glanced at each other, surely thinking the same time.

"Can we show him the Omega Timeline?" She asked cautiously.

"I'll ask Core Frisk..." Ink sighed.

"WhAt??" Error was confused.

Word Count: 658