Chapter 4: The Multiverse

Ink and Y/n became good friends after meeting. He told her of his position as the Protector of the AUs and described the multiverse to her. He also mentioned Error to her, the Destroyer. Error terminates AUs as an act to prevent interference with Undertale.

Hearing this, Y/n wanted to help. She didn't want anyone to experience what she had been through. She asked Ink if there was anything she could do.

"No, this is something I have to do. I don't want anyone else getting hurt...."

~~~~~~~ A week later...

Y/n stared at the ceiling of her bedroom. She had been given a spare room in the Sans house. She huffed, feeling really lazy. Maybe all the Sanses were influencing her too much. She hopped out of bed, deciding to see if anyone had came by. She cracked the door open, a soft voice drifted down the hallway, someone was humming. She crept down the hall, as to not startle them.

"Ink..." Y/n jumped and a muffled crash was heard from the living room. She tried to steady her pounding heart.

"Geez, Frisk! You scared me down to the bone! Give a small warning before you just appear!" Ink whispered harshly, Y/n peered around the corner, Frisk chuckled lightly.

"Sorry, I'll try to be less ghostly... But seriously Ink, I have something I want you to do for me." Frisk sat on the back of the couch, Ink sat in a chair opposite of them, holding what seemed to be a sketch book.

"And what would that be?"

"I want you to take Y/n to the multiverse." Ink looked up sharply, giving Frisk a disbelieving look. "Now before you blow your skull and say, 'Frisk you know I can't do that, so many things could go wrong.' Remember, Y/n is... different from most humans. She could be of use to you when fighting Error. You obviously can't do it by yourself. She's special, and I know you can tell." Ink held up a hand to stop Frisk.

"Ok, but I know how your universe works, she can't leave the Omega Timeline. Also nobody but I can go to the Multiverse.... What's that look for?" He asked, seeing Frisk smirk knowingly. They pointed to Ink's giant brush in the corner of the room.

"You have another one of those brushes right? It grants you your powers correct. I have a sneaking suspicion you should give the other one to her." Ink sighed, throwing his hands up in defeat.

"Fine, whenever you tell me to do something your usually right... You're wanting me to take her right now right? Do you know where she is?" Ink asked, gathering his things and retrieving his paintbrush.

"I'm sure she's around..." Frisk's gaze wandered exactly over to where Y/n was. Fear leaped through her heart as she quickly retreated from the corner. She breathed quietly and smiled.  She was going to visit a place she had wanted to see ever since she heard about it, imagining it filled her soul with joy. A place Ink described as amazing and inspiring. She was going to see the Multiverse. After calming herself with this thought she walked around the corner.

"Hey Ink! Hey Frisk." She said cheerfully, giving a small wave. Frisk smiled and returned the wave, giving Y/n a knowing look. Chills went up her spine as she avoided Frisk's gaze.

"Heya Y/n... Would you mind if I took you somewhere today?" Ink asked, sliding his brush into its holder on his back.

"Sure... Where to?" She inquired, faking curiosity. Ink simply smiled. Even if she knew the answer she was curious how Ink would bring it up. She tipped her head to the side slightly, watching Ink's eye sockets fill with laughter. 

"Why don't I just show you..." So he was going to try to surprise her, Y/n smiled at the thought.

"Alright! Are we going right now?"

"Yeah!"

~~~~~~~~~~

Ink and Y/n stood by line of doors in the Omega Timeline. She glanced down the array of entrances to different AUs. Did the Multiverse have its own door? She spun her head to look at Ink. He had taken out his brush, it was dripping with pitch black paint. Y/n caught Ink staring at it intensely.

"Ink?" The skeleton blinked once, pulling out of his concentration. He saw Y/n's look of concern.

"Oh, sorry..." He gave her a reassuring smile to show he was alright. He inhaled, sweeping his brush across the ground, leaving a broad black smear. He tapped his foot once beside it, the smear became white in the center, a black outline around the portal. Y/n considered the portal with interest, trying to peer into it.

"So... You just... jump in?"

"Yeah, but umm... Listen, I've never tried to go to the Multiverse with someone else. I'm not sure if you'll get lost, make it through just fine, or not be able to go there at all. So.. um." Ink held out his hand, looking away. "Just hold on tight, ok?"

Y/n hesitated in taking his hand, but it wasn't because she didn't trust Ink. Her stomach fluttered, but it wasn't from fear. Was she really starting to like this skeleton? She questioned herself as she gently took the offering. 

Word Count: 880