10 - Torn

This chapter is dedicated to queenmarieeantonette who has been catching up with the series over these past few weeks. Thanks for all your support :)

10 - Torn

Despite of what Kerry said, things don't go back to the way they were before. After my mom gets out of the hospital, she refuses to be in the same room as Marcus, angry sparks flying whenever they accidentally pass each other in the hallway. Us kids are on edge, or at least Alyssa and I are, Lamar still too young to grasp what is going on. Alyssa cries a lot which gets me even more winded up. My nerves are stretched to the limit and even the smallest of things gets me into a frenzy.

Yet, Marcus's open display of affection is the worst whenever the rest of my family is away from the house. His hands are all over me as soon as he steps into the room. When I do my homework, his arms wrap around me from behind, his chin on my shoulder while he rechecks my work. His fingers stroke my belly or my nipples, the dread only interrupted when he points out a mistake. He calls it foreplay.

At some point when his hard dick presses against my back, he takes my hand and pulls me into his bedroom. The cycle repeats itself at least a few times a week. Loathing myself takes on a new meaning, I'm nothing more than his cheap play toy. Most of the time, my stomach is in knots when he's done with me, my body roaring in repulsion by the sweet smell of cum that surrounds me even after I take a shower.

I try to escape by studying in the library, but he catches on and tracks me down. The scene he causes is utterly embarrassing. He grounds me after that by locking me into my room without a phone, laptop or tablet, telling the school that I've caught the chicken pox. Sex is the only thing interrupting my sulking and crying. After that, I get on with the program. Accepting things without pondering how an ideal life would look like helps to battle the constant drag. A new emptiness takes over my soul which makes getting up in the morning an almost unbearable task.

After an especially rough weekend during which my mother and Marcus get into a physical altercation that ends with a lot of blood dripping from her mouth, my mother slips into my room on Monday morning.

"Pack a suitcase. We're leaving."

I frown. "Where's Dad?"

"He left for work early. Just pack necessities. Where we're going, there's not a lot of space."

My frown deepens, but before I can ask any more questions, she's already gone. With a sigh, I grab the overnight suitcase from the top shelf of my closet, my eyes scanning over my clothes. It's almost the end of November and they predicted snow later in the week, so I'd rather pack something warm.

I barely get the zipper closed when I'm done, the suitcase about to burst at the seams. With frustrated eyes, I regard the pile of clothes that are spread out on the bed which I will have to leave behind. Not even half the stuff I wanted to take ended up fitting into the small space. With a huff, I lift the suitcase off the bed and pull it behind me to the garage. Hopefully, I can get some more of my stuff later.

My mom is packing up the minivan with her own bags. Contrary to me, she hasn't been stingy with her own junk.

"Where are we going?" I ask.

"A family rescue shelter. My lawyer set it up." With puckered lips, she scans over the items in the car before adding my suitcase.

"Seriously? A shelter?" That is almost as bad as being homeless. "Why can't we just go to grandma's and grandpa's?"

"Because they're dicks." The trunk of the minivan is slammed shut. "Ever since I dropped the charges, they've been siding with your dad. They're not an option."