Chapter 9 (part 1)

The next day, Nathaniel does a quick prayer and ritual and learned from exorcists from the Earth realm on Marinette to help mask her scent. After he was done, he, Marinette, & Alya headed to school.

NATHANIEL: Here's the deal: wherever you go, you have either me or Alya with you.

ALYA: There'll be no exceptions this time, girl.

MARINETTE: OK, OK, I get it. I know how important this is to you. No one will find out anything until after I turn 18.

NATHANIEL: (Nathaniel smiles) That's good to hear.

ALYA: Don't worry, we're all going to make it through this.

After they made it to school, Marinette was yet again astonished by the decorations and activities everyone set up. She was especially excited about the dance since she designed new dresses for herself and Alya.

The 3rd Library

SHIKI: Where are you? Are you under here?

URIE: All right fallen angel. Enough snooping around.

MAGE: Yeah. Adrien can take care of himself.

SHIKI: Not him. I'm looking for Loewen. I need to find that furry little fluff ball.

ADRIEN: You won't be seeing him. He's abused our trust and betrayed us.

MAGE: What do you mean by that?

ADRIEN: He manipulated us to make us believe that he was an innocent, loyal puppy. But it was just a ploy to help his previous master.

URIE: King Maksis? But isn't he dead?

MAGE: Yeah, cuz I could've sworn that Lord Nesta killed him almost 18 years ago.

ADRIEN: Yes, but before King Maksis was killed, he married an unknown woman, and that union created a child of his own, the rightful heir to the throne.

SHIKI: Lord Maksis has a child? Interesting. I guess we need to find the grimoire before Loewen does. However, if we're lucky, Lord Maksis' child is a girl. If it is a girl, then all you have to do is marry her, and you'll be king in the end, Adrien.

ADRIEN: Perhaps, but we shouldn't take any chances. Recent information has helped me locate it.

(Urie, Mage, Nino, and Shiki appear shocked)

ADRIEN: Marinette and her family never had the grimoire in the first place. It was well hidden in Berlin, back in the Earth Realm. I've already sent my men to retrieve it. Once they have it, my father will break the spell on Lord Maksis' throne, and become king. As for me, I'll become prince, and next in line for the throne. (Adrien smiles) May the darkest of blessings be upon us all.

Outside the 3rd Library

MAGE: So both this realm and the devils are going to be under the mercy of Adrien's father.

URIE: Indeed.

NINO: Well, seeing as how that's all over, I'm gonna go and enjoy the festival. See ya. (Nino leaves)

Back in the 3rd Library

ADRIEN (in his thoughts): The grimoire is keeping her alive. If I remove it, she'll die.

The festivities outside

CHLOE: (sighs as she checks her complexion in a compact mirror) It's only a matter of time before the dance starts and I'll become queen.