Chapter 10 (Part 2): Too Close for Comfort

No. Don’t do it. My eyes slowly turned towards it. Not again.

10:15

“Ugh!” I threw myself onto my bed in frustration. Where the heck was he?!?! I thought he specifically said he would be here at 10 sharp! Well it’s now 10:15 and there’s no sign of him anywhere! I tried to calm myself down. People can be late. There’s nothing to worry about. I kept fidgeting on my bed. I stood up and paced around the room. Each time I would stop and stare out the window at the front of the castle. I kept trying to picture a limo pulling up with him in it. Maybe if I wished hard enough, it would happen.

For the 5th time my eyes wondered back to the clock.

10:16

I wanted to scream. It’s not like I could leave my room. I was way too fancy to sneak out unnoticed.

Prince Riley had sent me a purple dress that was fit for a princess to wear. He even sent me a sparkling white diamond tiara. Why would he go through all the trouble of getting all of this to stand me up? It down right made absolutely NO sense. I had left my hair down this time, straightening every last curl out of it. And now here I was anxiously awaiting a Prince that would never come. How could I be so naïve? It was probably just a joke. There was no way a maid could go on a date with a Prince. My heads had been in the clouds for too long. I took of the tiara and threw it across the room.

“How could I have been so stupid?!?! How could I have been so blind?!?!” I yelled to myself.

“I’m not special.” A small tear ran down my cheek. Who cares if I cry and end up looking like a raccoon? It’s not like anyone is going to see me.

Casie was working a late night shift tonight, preparing the castle for a special dinner tomorrow. I got to take the whole day off allowing me hours of perfecting my look. All for nothing.

I’m so gullible…

Something told me to look out my window one last time. I got up and when I looked I thought I was imagining things. There was a limo. An actual limo!

I ran to the bathroom to look in the mirror. I dabbed at my eyes and looked again. Makeup was still in intact. I couldn’t even tell I had been crying.

I scooped up my tiara and carefully placed it on top like it was the star on top of the Christmas tree. I snuck down the halls and out the door. Prince Riley had his hands behind his back standing tall in front of the limo. The moment he saw me a smile grew across his face.

I walked up to him but he just stood there blocking the door.

“Are we going or not?”

“You’re not ready. There is one thing missing.”

I checked all over myself. Dress? Check.  Shoes? Check. Tiara? Check. I’m not missing anything.

“What am I missing?”

“This.” Riley moved his hands in front of him. There, in his fingers was a single red rose.

“My favorite” I whispered.

He smiled and placed it delicately in my hair.

“Now we can go.”

My heart was beating 100 miles an hour as he touched my hand to help me into the car. I sat in the seat, smoothing out my dress. He got in after me and closed the door. The driver automatically started the car and we were off.

“You look beautiful.” Riley leaned over and whispered in my ear. I felt my cheeks turn pink.

“Thanks.”