Chapter 4: Not one for First Impressions

I know, I know. It is WAY to early to be posting this. I couldn't help myself. I just want to type type type until I reach the good part. So my writing may be a little slopy since I am in such a rush. Sorry its a bad habit :/ Good news though, only a few chs left until the good part. I can't wait!!! what about you guys?!?! :D

XXX

I awoke to the sun shining in through my curtains. Surprisingly I felt like I got a goodnights sleep.

 I pulled off the covers and got out of the bed. On the knob of the door was my maid uniform. Today was my first day of work. While putting it on I glanced at the clock and saw that it was 7:45. I took a double take just in case and saw it wasn’t just my eyes. I was late for breakfast. Maybe if I hurry I could grab some leftovers. I rushed into my outfit and brushed my hair so quickly that I swear I pulled some of it out. I straight out ran to the dining hall. Thank god I knew where it was now.

I opened the door to find people cleaning the food up. I was too late. One of the men cleaning up spoke to me “You missed breakfast. You snooze you lose.”

I clenched my fists; angry. He could have just said that it was over. He didn’t have to be so rude. A lot of people in this castle were that way: That one Prince I ran into, this guy, there are probably more. I turned around and swiftly walked out, not saying a word.  

I walked the halls wondering what to do. I sort off had to work, but I didn’t have anything to do until the Prince and Princess arrive. Might as well explore the castle and get to know the halls better.

XXX

I had been walking around for about 2 hours now and I had now remembered most of the halls and rooms. I had, had enough and was heading back to my room when someone called out to me.

“You!”

Huh? I turned my head to see a man in a suit pointing to me.

“You are a maid. Correct?”

I looked down at uniform.

“Yes?”

“The King, he wants tea. Get it for him. He is in the library”

He walked off leaving me responsible for the task. He didn’t have to be so pushy. Everyone here is this way!  I was a little angry at the man but got over it. At least I had something to do now.

I walked in the kitchen to see it buzzing with life. Chefs were rushing everywhere. I was shocked at how busy it was at only 10. It must be even worse at dinner time.  I squeezed through the people and made my way to the back. I saw a tea tray ready to go but just as I was about to grab it I spotted some soup cooking on the stove. As soon as I saw it my stomach rumbled. The delicious aroma filled my nose. I couldn’t help myself since I had skipped breakfast. I tried to look casual as I slowly walked over to it.  Taking quick glances I dipped my finger in and stuck it in my mouth. The flavor flooded my taste buds leaving them craving more. I closed my eyes and tried to savor the taste but it left too quickly.

When I opened my eyes a man in a chef uniform stood in front of me looking mad. I knew I had been caught.

“I’m so sorry. It just smelled so good and it looked so good, and, and-“ I tried to come up with an excuse.

"And you decided to taste it because it was staring right out you, calling your name.” he finished my sentence

“Ya” I looked down at my feet, ashamed.

“You new?” he asked me

“Yes”

“Miss Breakfast?” he asked again.

“Ya?” I slowly raised my head looking at him. How did he know? I studied his face. He looked about 50 with grey hair and a few wrinkles on his face. At the moment his face was stern staring at me. I must have had a pretty dumb look on my face because the angry look melted away to reveal a stunning smile. He started laughing.

I was dumbstruck; I thought I was in trouble. Now here he is laughing when I expecting him to be scolding. I just looked at him a little scared that he was crazy.

“Welcome aboard.” He stopped laughing and offered his hand to me. Cautiously, my hand stretched out to shake his.

“I was just like you on my first day.” He smiled.

"I’m not mad that you tasted my soup. I was joking” Relieve flooded through me.

“Was it good?” he asked

“Very.” I laughed as he did the same.

“Good, good.” 

I started to like this guy. For once, someone treated me nicely. About time.

I smiled. “So how long have you been working here?”

"Well, 3 years for the King, in this castle, about a week. The old castle got destroyed not too long ago. A fire broke out in the middle of night, and now we are staying here, in Glenndale instead of Romania. The fire was arsenal and we assume someone from Charleston started it. “

King Roland suddenly made more sense. He was probably named Roland after Romania. And he would need some new maids because they had to move. Everything was starting to make sense now, but why Charleston?

"Charleston?” I asked.

“Yes. They are our rivaling country. They hate us, and the feeling is mutual.” He laughed.

“So how many new people did King Roland have to get?”

“About 13 cooks, 10 butlers, and so far 1 maid.” He turned his head to look around the kitchen but at the last part he looked at me.

I glanced back at the tea tray awaiting me. I would have to go soon. He followed my gaze and saw the tray. Then he smiled.

"Perhaps you should get back to work and the same for me.”

“Yes. It was nice meeting you…” I trailed off. I didn’t know his name.

“Marty” he laughed.

I laughed to.

“Kaitlynn” I said my name and watched him laugh. He was a very nice man; not what I was expecting at all.

“Well nice to meet you Miss Kaitlynn”

“As to you.” I curtsied to him and left to do my duties.