chapter twenty - five

Start from the beginning

"Can you not try-" Castiel started but she shook her head, tapping her temple.
"I'm not seeing anything up here, past or future. Its like its been shut off" she said. Dean and Bobby exchanged worried glances.
"Something in this town. Its, uh...its affecting us. I assume it is Eve" Castiel said.
"How?" Dean questioned, looking at both of them. Monica shrugged her shoulders. Without her powers she couldn't see why this was happening, who was doing this or what they wanted.

"I don't know, but it is Eve" Castiel stated. Dean set his bottle down and leaned back.
"Well that's great, because without your power, you're just a baby in a trench coat" he said. Monica raised an eyebrow as Castiel paused before looking out the window sullenly. She smirked and looked at her lap; she never guessed angels would get annoyed or upset but then again you learnt something new everyday.
"I think you hurt his feelings" Sam said. Dean gave him a look before he started to apologise. 

"I got something here, maybe. Had to go federal to go get it. Call went out from local office to the CDC last night" he said, showing them the screen. Monica took the tablet and looked more closely. Still nothing on her powers. She gave it back to Bobby, defeated.
"About what?" Sam asked. She could tell he was itching to do some research himself and had to physically restrain himself from snatching the tablet. Monica smiled and gently took his hand. He glanced at her and smiled.

"A Dr Silver called in an illness he couldn't identify. Patients a 25 year old African-American, names - Ed Bright" Bobby said, bring up a picture of Ed's driver's licence.

"That's not much to go on" Monica said.
"Well its a lead, so-" Bobby started before Dean cut in.
"So beggars can't be choosers, right? I get it. All right, let's finish up" he said.

***

Monica leaned back in the back seat of Bobby's truck. They were parked near Dr Silver's home and she was waiting for Sam and Bobby to finish checking his house. Dean and Castiel had gone in search of Ed Bright so she was left to her own thoughts. Monica restlessly picked at the leather of the seats, her mind going over everything that had happened since she'd gone looking for the Winchesters. Back then she'd only cared about proving herself wrong, that she wasn't something more. Because the thought had been overwhelming.

But watching them all move and work together, as a group, as a weird and mixed up family, made her realise that being something more had brought her all of this. Sometimes she wondered what would've happened if the vision had been wrong. Would she have just gone home, watched the Apocalypse happen and not care and just live an apple pie life? She couldn't imagine herself living that life anymore.

But what Monica could see was that the Sheriff had pulled up just as Sam and Bobby were leaving the house. She ducked down low as he past the car to approach them. Monica listened as they chatted for a while, keeping herself as hidden as possible. Finally the door opened and Sam got in.
"You can come out now" he said. She sat up and flicked her hair out of her face.
"What did he ask for?" she said as Bobby started the car.
"Just wanted to see id, he didn't know the doc was gone which means he's missing" Sam said. She nodded as they drove to meet with Dean and Cas.

They all stood outside Ed's house in an almost circle.
"Ok, so we've got a missing doctor and a oozy patient" Dean said after they had all explained what they'd found.
"Yeah, plot thickens" Monica said, earning a smile from Dean.
"Well let's go see what Ed's roommates have to say" Dean suggested, heading for the door. Monica stopped him, taking his arm.
"Does Ed have a brother?" she asked.
"No, why?" Bobby asked, looking at her. She pointed to the window and looked at them.

"The that's not his twin" she said. They all glanced at the window before looking back at each other.
"So a shifter?" Sam said. 
"Yeah. Best guess- silver bullets" Dean said as he opened the weapons arsenal they had in the trunk.
"I'm fairly unpractised with firearms" Castiel said as Bobby, Dean and Sam grabbed guns.
"You can stay here" she said reaching for a gun. Sam moved her hand away and looked at her.
"You stay here with him" he said. She shook her head and reached for a gun again before Sam blocked the way.