chapter twenty - three

They appeared on a  random street in street, that looked like any other street in America
"What the Hell is-" she started before she could suddenly feel a searing pain in her head. Monica clutched her head in pain.
"You feel that? That's because everything here...its wrong. You change one small thing like a vessel for Michael, it disrupts your powers for a while. You change the course of a ship and save thousands; the pain you are feeling is the repercussions. And it is only going to get worse" Atropos explained. Monica winced and managed to stand up without collapsing.

"What do we have to do?" she said through gritted teeth. Atropos looked at a man just leaving a store.
"Rewrite it properly...That means some have to die"she said. Monica shook her head and winced in pain.
"No, we can't okay. They're people, they're innocent" she argued. Atropos grabbed Monica by the shoulders.
"The pain will only get worse, it could destroy us both. I have to do what I was made to do" she said. Monica didn't get a chance to speak as the man stepped onto the road.

She almost didn't see the bus, it was like it came out of nowhere. Monica bit back a scream as the man's mutilated body lay on the road. What made her sick was that the pain in her head lessened slightly, as if it was affected by his death.
"What did you do?" she shouted at Atropos but didn't wait for her answer. She turned to run when Atropos grabbed her hand and transported her to a dark room.

In front of her was two men pointing guns in her direction. As soon as they saw her they clicked off the safety in their weapons.
"Sam, Dean? Thank god, I've been looking everywhere for you guys" she said in relief. She closed the distance between her and Sam and reached to kiss him when he pushed her back.
"Whoa, what the hell? Who are you and how do you know us?" he asked. Dean looked just about to empty his bullets into her head. 

"They never met you because of what Balthazar did...saved the Titanic, that is" Atropos said to Monica. Sam and Dean's faces had frozen in time. Monica turned to her just as the room swayed. She collapsed on to the floor just as Atropos opened all the gas valves in the room.

"Why are you doing this to them?" she asked. Atropos looked at her for a while.
"To make you see why we do what we have to do" she said before disappearing. Sam frowned and kneeled to help her up.
"You okay?" Sam asked, looking at her in concern. She groaned in pain as she sat up. Her head was swimming in pain.

"We have to get out of here" she mumbled just as Dean lighted a match. When it ignited she could see the panic in Dean and Sam's eyes. The windows and door's stayed locked no matter how hard Dean pushed against them.
"Sam" she muttered as he started choking on the gas. She could see Dean struggling to breathe and staggered to her feet. The floor swayed as she stumbled towards the door.
"Stop it, okay. I'll do what you want just leave them alone"she pleaded. Turning she saw Castiel in front of her, holding Sam and a hand on Dean. She took Sam's hand as they were transported to safety.

****

"Okay, you better start explaining, both of you"Dean asked once he had recovered. Sam looked at her with a apprehensive expression. Monica sat in the open passenger seat of Dean's Mustang, another weird aspect of this alternate reality, as well as the fact that her former best friend Jo and her mother were alive and that Ellen was married to Bobby.
"Why don't you explain why they are here, Cas? Why Ellen and Jo are here?" she said, glaring at him. He looked at her for a brief moment before looking away. In the open space of Bobby's yard the Sun felt like a white hot poker pressed against her head. Her whole body felt shaky and cold.

"What did we do?" Sam asked, glancing at her. His eyes were furrowed in concern as she winced, sitting up straighter.
"Piss off Fate" she mumbled, holding her head. Monica could tell Dean was looking at her quizzically. It's what he did when working with people he didn't know. Or didn't know he knew, in her case.
"Nothing of import- just the tiny matter of averting the Apocalypse and rendering her obsolete; she was slightly irritated about that. And then you go and dangle yourself in front of her.." Castiel stated.