chapter five.

Dean sat in Bobby's library,deep in research. Monica stood with a steaming cup of coffee in her hand and looked outside. She could still hear the echoes of her nightmare. It had been the same vision again, of Sam killing Dean. Only this time her brother held her back, blood seeping from his eyes. She shuddered at the thought of remembering. Sam had stayed in the panic room, Dean told her he was still detoxing from all the demon blood. She placed her cup on the table, it's contents long ago cold. Making her way to the panic room door, she saw it was open.

"Sam?," she asked, looking around for him. 

"I'm here," a voice said. She saw him sitting on the steps, tying his shoelace. She smiled briefly and sat next to him. They looked at each other for a moment before Sam looked away.

"Are you okay?," she asked him gently. It was probably hard for him; after all he was betrayed by a demon and tricked into starting the Apocalypse.
"I wanna do something, you know....I don't want to feel useless. But every time Dean looks at me, it's like he's looking at a monster," Sam said.
"I don't believe that, Sam. You're not a monster and Dean doesn't think that you are. Your his brother. Everyone makes mistakes, just don't let it stop you from making it right," she said, taking his hand gently.

Sam looked up at her and she paused. Every time she relieved that vision, she felt his lips on hers. She knew that when the event came to pass it would be horrible to see Sam kill his own brother but she couldn't help wonder what it would be like to feel his lips right now.
"How do I make it right?," he asked, not breaking his eye contact with her's. Monica looked at their hands.
"Can I ask you a question?," she said. He frowned before nodding.
"Anything. What's wrong?," he said. She breathed, trying to figure out what she how could say it.
"In my vision...you and I, we,um...-," she was about to go on when Dean appeared in the hallway. Sam snatched his hand away and Dean frowned at the two before shrugging his shoulders.

"Bobby wants us to take a distress call. Some place called River Pass. He's at the hospital," Dean said. Sam and Monica both got up and grabbed their coats before following Dean to the Impala.

"So Monica,  I think you should probably stick with us for now. Till we get you a safe place to stay,"Dean said. Whilst Sam sat up front, Monica sat in the back seat, scribbling into a notebook. She thought if she kept writing down her dreams she would find a recurring clue. But so far she had found nothing. 
"I don't think there's any where that I can be safe. Heaven's dispatching angels to find me, demons will kill any one they think I care about. And we've only got one demon killing knife between the three of us," she said, looking out the window. Castiel had whisked her away before she could properly say goodbye, let alone close Robbie's eyes. Just thinking about them being dead made her chest ache. Dean looked at her through the rear view mirror before smiling slightly.

"We'll be fine, don't worry...How you doing, Sammy?," he asked. Sam looked up and smiled briefly before leaning back against the chair.

"I'm good, what do you think Bobby wants?," he asked. Dean shrugged but Monica shook her head. She could see that Sam didn't want to talk about himself, it was the last thing he wanted to do.She looked at her notebook and tried to make sense of whatever was in front of her.

Sam and Monica waited outside Bobby's hospital room as he and Dean were talking with the doctor. They mainly stayed quiet, other things on their mind.
"How are you holding up?," he asked her. She looked up and swallowed. Every time someone asked her that question, she felt her throat tense up and tears choke her. She gripped the edge of her chair and breathed.
"I'm okay," she said. Sam shook his head and gently took her hand again.
"You're a terrible liar, you not okay Monica...And you shouldn't be. Everything that's happened to you has been horrible and ...god, if I could I'd change everything and make it better for you.," he said looking at her. She was speechless at his sudden rush of emotion, their eyes not moving from each others. Gently she touched his cheek and smiled slightly.
"It's not your fault Sam, I shouldn't have involved my family at all," she said. Some force was pulling her closer to him, her eyes still trained on his like she couldn't move. They were inches apart and she could feel the heat off his body, the soft pulse of his fingers in her hands, the rise and fall of his breathing. She bit her lip slightly, their lips almost touching when someone coughed.