chapter seven.

"Hello this is Sam Winchester-,"

"Hey Sam, it's me Monica. It would be nice if you-,"

"Please leave a message after the beep,"

Monica sighed and set the phone back on the table.
"Called us back because Dean would like to hear from you," she muttered and flopped back on the bed. She was in Dean's motel room where he was studiously looking at a map pinned to the cork board. It had been a week since Sam had left and all Dean and Monica had managed to do was find an archangel and introduce Castiel to the dark world of strip clubs.

"You look beat. Another nightmare?," Dean asked, snapping her out of her stupor. She had been pushing herself to see more behind her visions and she was finally getting somewhere.
"I think I was overreacting. My vision of Sam killing you...something about it doesn't feel right," she said, looking up at the mottled paint on the ceiling.
"Well that's obvious. Why would Sammy do that?," Dean said casually. She knew he liked to pretend that his brother's absence didn't bother him but Monica knew he also tried to call Sam every night.

"You wouldn't understand, it feels real and looks real. But that doesn't mean it's not. When I look at the vision I feel this weight behind my eyes, like my body's telling me to open them...when they're already open," she said. Dean nodded but he was silent; he normally went silent when something about her powers confused him.
"Seen anything new?," he asked. She breathed and closed her eyes; every time she closed her eyes she saw Sam and Dean hugging. But she didn't want to get Dean's hope up.
"Nope, have you tried Sam again?," she asked. He rolled his eyes and turned to face her.

"Monica I don't think calling him every other minute is gonna make him pick up. If there's one thing I know about Sam is that he's stubborn," he said. She nodded before sitting up. Suddenly there was a ringing sound. Monica looked wide eyed at her phone and quickly picked up.
"Hello," she said. There was a pause before someone spoke.
"Hey Monica, can you put Dean on the phone?," he said. Monica's heart skipped a beat before she nodded.
"Um...yeah, how are you though? Are you okay? I mean... are you well?," she stuttered before mentally face palming herself for her embarrassment.
"Yeah I'm good," Sam said, chuckling from the other side. She smiled and handed the phone to Dean.
"It's Sam," she said before grabbing her coat and exiting the room. She wanted to give Dean some space.

Across the hall, she unlocked the door to her own room and walked inside. Only when she closed the door her room was gone.

~~~

"What the hell?!," she muttered as she looked around. What should've been her room in front of her was a large and dense forest. Monica swallowed and stepped forward. The panic that had fired up inside her had now resided into a spark of curiosity. This was probably another weird dream she had grown used to. Her shoes crushed twigs and leaves as she wandered through the foliage.
"Hello, is anybody here?," she asked, her voice bouncing off the trees into the gloom. A swirling mist lay low to the ground, giving the whole forest a ethereal look.

Monica shivered in her coat although it was neither warm or cold. She looked around her and saw that behind her was more forest. The way she had came had gone.
"Okay, if this is some sick joke you can give it up now!," she said her voice shrill in the silence. Her breathing was shallow and quick and she forced her hands to stop shaking. Taking a deep breath she set off in a brisk walk through the forest, hoping she'd find some help. After a while Monica looked at her watch to tell the time. Both the hour hand and the minute hand had disappeared.

Monica tried not to panic and started thinking of a way out of here. How do you escape from somewhere you don't know you came to? She was about to take a step forward when a voice spoke. It was sharp and clear, cutting through the dead silence.
"Monica," the voice called to her from all directions. She looked around, her heart beating rapidly, but no one was there. Suddenly a branch snapped, sending Monica into a frenzied sprint. She crashed through bushes and leaped over logs.Without warning a figure stepped forward and she went crashing to the floor. Hands went to her shoulders as she tried to fight of whatever it was.