chapter twenty - four

Monica sat outside, flipping through the pages of her journal. Her finger traced over early pictures of her visions. She smiled, thinking of how sacred she was. Monica no longer felt scared by what she could do. Because she had managed to read Atropos' mind. And what it said changed her life.

Monica could control lives.

***

"Time travel?" she said astonished. They were sitting in Bobby's library after Dean had filled Monica in on everything she had missed. Eve had been released from Purgatory, the home of all supernatural monsters. Crowley had used Samuel to find a way to open Purgatory and now they needed a way to stop her.
"So you want to go to 1861 and find the man who made this" she said, holding up the Colt. Bobby had found Samuel Colt's journal where it said he'd killed a phoenix. Dean, Sam and Bobby all seemed convinced that it's ashes would kill Eve.
"Pretty much. We need Cas to send us there" he said as Sam and Dean started getting ready.
"I better pack...Again" she said, giving Sam a smile.

As she folded clothes into her backpack, her mind went back to her time away with Sam.

"You know I didn't have you as a Stanford guy" Monica says, Sam's arm around her waist. Sam smiles as they walk down the street. Hooked in on arm is a shopping bag with food and ahead of them was the park. She looks at the small crease between his eyes as he squints in the sunlight and kisses his cheek.
"What was that for?" he asks, looking at her with a huge grin.

"Hey, Cas is here" Sam said, snapping Monica out of her daydream. She looked up to see Sam leaning in the doorway and smiled.
"Hey you" she said getting up. In the back of her mind she knew she should be angry with Castiel for ...well, everything. But her mind reminded her that she had left Sam and she wasn't there when he'd scratched 'the wall' in his mind. She took his hand and squeezed it slightly.
"You okay? " he asked. She nodded and slung her backpack over her shoulders.
"Ride like the wind, Bullseye!"she teased as he put an arm as they headed downstairs.

The three of them stood in the yard of Bobby's car. Monica could see that Dean had parked Mia's red car out of sight but it still reminded her that she'd caused the witch's death and that Crowley was out to get her for some reason.
"So how will this work?" she said, turning to Dean. He was the only one out of three that had time travelled before, as weird as it seemed. Monica had learned quickly that almost everything was weird.

"Its pretty simple: Cas zaps us to the date on the journal and we find Samuel Colt" Dean said quickly.
"About your plan: you only have 24 hours" Cas said flatly. Monica and Dean shared shocked looks as Sam did a double take.

"What? Why?" Sam asked incredulous.
"Well the answer to your question can best be answered by a series of partial differential equations..."Cas started.
"Aim lower" Bobby grumbled.
"Heaven's watching me, watching all of us. I can only give you a limited time to get what you need and get out. Got it? Good" he said before snapping he fingers.

The first thing that Monica noticed was the dust. It was everywhere, coating the weeds, dusting her skin and hair. She squinted and saw a town nearby. Taking her phone out she sighed.
"No service" she said. Sam nodded in agreement, holding up his phone. Dean held the gate open as Monica climbed over it. Turning she smirked as Sam stood in front of her.
"What?" Sam asked as Dean quickly sidestepped around Sam. She tried to stifle a laugh as she pointed to Sam's feet.

"Oh, damn it. Come one" he said as he took his foot out of the pile of horse crap he'd stepped in. Monica glanced at Sam's grumpy expression and chuckled.
"You know what that is?" Dean asked with a grin on his face. Monica managed to compose herself and look at Sam with a straight face.
"Yeah, its horse sh-" she started before Dean cut her off excitedly.