chapter twenty - five

Start from the beginning

"Do you ever think of what you'd do to have those moments?" she said after awhile. Sam thought for a moment before looking at her.
"Not anymore. I have you to make moments with" he said, looking back at her. She smiled, the closest thing to happiness, and stood up. Sam had packed a bag for her.

"Thank you Sam, for being with me" she said. He took her hand in his and squeezed it.
"Thank you for being with me too" he said before leading her downstairs. There was murmuring coming from Bobby's library. As Sam went to talk with the others, Monica sat on the bottom step, tying her shoelaces.
"Hey you" Dean said, sitting next to her. She looked up as she tied her hair back and gave him a small smile. She still felt shaky after her outburst and breakdown but also slightly refreshed after talking with Sam. Like she wasn't alone in that moment.
"Hey, did you find where Eve is?" she asked. Dean nodded and patted her arm.

"Monica, you can stay here if you want. Just if you want a day away from all the hunting" he said. She looked at Dean and shook her head.
"Its hunting or nothing, we have to stop Eve" she said, even though she didn't feel determined. It was easy to just stay back and lounge around. But if something happened she wouldn't be there to help. Dean smiled and got up, helping her to her feet.
"I hoped you'd come, wouldn't be the same without you?" he said. She nodded and slung her backpack onto her shoulders.

Monica sat between Sam and Cas with Bobby and Dean in front as they made their way to Grants Pass, Oregon. It was dark by the time they'd passed into Ohio state and Sam had fallen asleep against her shoulder. Bobby had taken over driving as Dean kept dozing off and Bobby did't want to become "roadkill in plaid". Monica looked out the window at the passing traffic and spotlights. Everything in the Impala was calm and quiet, except for Bobby humming along to some old song.

The town looked deserted as they got out of the car. Monica shielded her eyes from the sun and touched her forehead. Castiel frowned as Dean popped open the hood. Across the street was a diner.
"Let's go inside for a moment, we need to plan" she said. Bobby nodded and Sam and Dean left some stuff in the car, not before slipping a handgun into their jacket pockets. Always on the lookout.

Inside, the diner was mostly quiet; only a few people sat at tables, keeping to themselves. However, Monica felt watched. They chose a booth and Castiel, Monica and Sam sat on one side with Dean and Bobby on the other side.

"Can I get you anything else?" a waitress said walking up to them.
No we're good thanks" Dean said before he carried on eating his burger. Monica looked at the cup of coffee in her hands. It warmed her fingers and smelled rich and delicious. But it tasted like water. Everything just felt wrong and she couldn't place a finger on why. It was like something was missing.

"Anything?" Sam asked, bringing her back to the present. Bobby struggled to use the tablet but he had gotten the hang of it.
"Oh, nickel and dime stuff, nothing weird. Basically dead end. You think Vampira was lying?" Bobby said referring to the vampire they'd asked for help. Monica had never met her before and never got the chance to, but if they had let her go she must've done something worthwhile.
"I'll search the town. Give me a moment" Castiel said. She expected him to disappear but he stayed sitting next to her.

"Cas, we can still see you" she said.
"Yes I'm still here" he said in frustration. She smiled slightly and took a sip from her cup. Her drink had turned cold and bitter.
"Okay, well you don't have to wait on us, you-" Dean started before Castiel coughed to clear his throat. They watched him as he scrunched his eyes in concentration.
"Well now it just looks like your pooping" Dean remarked. She coughed, spluttering on her drink as Sam gently patted her back. 
"Thanks Sam. Something's wrong" she said.